Help! Sparta Ion; has anyone converted one to use generic parts to avoid the software issues.

David Groen

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2023
Hello, I'm in West Sussex and have a Sparta Ion (!) and a Batavus Dutch ebike. I get them serviced at Dutch Bike Shop in Littlehampton; highly recommended.
Has anyone successfully converted a Sparta Ion to use generic parts to avoid the software issues, (and not being able to easily buy parts from the EU). Thanks!

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
What kind of parts are you talking about ?.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What kind of parts are you talking about ?.
Those parts hidden in deep holes in the ground? Hiding bike parts in such deep holes is madness IMHO. He wan't even given a torch.

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Do you want to remove the controller from the hub and rewire it to use an aftermarket controller and display?

David Groen

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2023
I have now successfully converted my Sparta to use a generic Chinese controller and LCD display ( approx £35), PAS (£8), throttle (£8)and the original motor, which didn't need any modification. The only thing I couldn't use was the original battery, shame as it was a big one with loads of power left. Bike works well, but slight lumpiness as it it picks up speed which clears at about 5mph. Apart from that , I now have a Sparta ion that I can cheaply repair myself. And a spare front wheel with motor, but that's another story.