specialized levo battery health dropping

gazman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 5, 2017
liverpool
I bought a specialized levo turbo about 2 weeks ago. I've used it to do approx 100 miles charging it 4 times.
So far all ok bar the fact I've gone into the turning and diagnostic settings and the battery life is down to 94% is this normal or something I should worry about? I've not had the battery below 20% and I've charged it back to full each time

Thanks

Attachments

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Sorry, can't help, but i'm sure there was a video posted on hear showing two riders one on Levo and the other a scott and the Levo ran out of battery much quicker?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

gazman

Feb 5, 2017
liverpool
thanks I've found it after looking for it. It isn't or doesn't seem to be running out quicker, it's just for it to drop so quickly bothered me. I've emailed specialized, I will post up what they say

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
HI
Just had a levo for 2 days to test it out .. was s demo bike
Think they said it was new in march 2016 but not sure

the bike was showing 99% health and it now has 17 charge cycles 359.5Km on it
So something not right there with yours

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
have you changed it to full and left it at full not using the bike ?
I use the cells inside the pack on my other hobby. They don't like been left full and don't like been left low. On the charger, I use I have to put them to storage voltage when I am not going to use them.

When a pack is left full the internal resistance on the cell goes up

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
Sorry, can't help, but i'm sure there was a video posted on hear showing two riders one on Levo and the other a scott and the Levo ran out of battery much quicker?
I found out why that would have happened .
If you have the settings defaulted it puts the motor response to race.

This makes it feel more powerful at the same assist level but I used over twice the power over the same test track.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
That's understandable, although a race default must be their marketing tool.
The Bosch Nyon i had could also be programmed for different modes and how they respond, in this case i felt it was a waste of time and went back to default programmes.
Levo's are lovely bikes, but i think a handle controller (not garmin), would be a better idea in future.

gazman

Feb 5, 2017
liverpool
I've spoken to specialized uk this morning. Either I have a issue with having older firmware, so its going back to the shop to get a update and if this doesn't sort it its got to go back to specialized as it has a problem with it.
It's only 2 weeks old so it hasn't been stored yet.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Gazman, Not wanting to stir, but I would not want it going back to specialized unless they give you another bike to use. In other words the bike should be fit for purpose and your entitled to a replacement.

I've heard that Specialized customer service is second to none in the bike world.

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
The app integration is very good and without it you would never know things like this.
I had a look and the Version on the bike I had was the same as what you have on your pictures
Hardware 3 firmware 4.9
the motor was on 3.6

There is talk of a new update but not seen anything about it .. only that the app for the phone will allow 0 on eco so you can have the bike on but not assisting you
but not out yet

should ask them what the update will add / fix

Richard

• Agree
Reactions: gazman

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I now have the Bosch Purion, as the kind of riding I do the Nyon was too big / fragile. Yes I could manipulate the power setting, but for me it was a bit pointless as eco to turbo do it all.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

gazman

Feb 5, 2017
liverpool
Hi,
How did it go on Sunday was it good news?

Richard
I took it in on Sunday to be told the equipment was in another shop, so took it back again yesterday.
I've had the update but the battery health hasn't changed. The shop spoke to specialized who said keep using the bike and watch the battery health, they think it's a problem with the app as it's happened in the states as well. Their is a update coming in the next few weeks, if that doesn't fix it they will look again.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Gazman,

Hat off to you. I must say your much more patient than I am. I would not be happy and insist on new battery / bike.
Sorry this is just me, it's a lot of money and needs to be fit for purpose, so the shop / manufacturer need to sort this out for you urgently and without you keep bringing the bike back in, or weeks going by. If Specialized have a software issue then that's their problem.
Sorry, but this really isn't good enough IMHO.

I'll get off my high horse now!

Reactions: gazman

gazman

Feb 5, 2017
liverpool
Once I have a proper ride under my belt I will review the situation. At the minute the bike performs fine and just seeing a number read a bit low doesn't worry me. If it drops even slightly however I will have it back in a flash.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

Breadman21

Just Joined
Nov 28, 2017
Lower Hutt
I took it in on Sunday to be told the equipment was in another shop, so took it back again yesterday.
I've had the update but the battery health hasn't changed. The shop spoke to specialized who said keep using the bike and watch the battery health, they think it's a problem with the app as it's happened in the states as well. Their is a update coming in the next few weeks, if that doesn't fix it they will look again.
Hi i have the same fault on my levo after 2 weeks my battery health is only at 96% did the software help

JRCSheffield

Mar 23, 2017
Sheffield
Hi, having had my "Friday Bike" 2016/2017 LevoFSR replaced by Spesh/LBS after 14 months for a 2108 Comp FSR, I have had faultless riding for 7 months...amazing and great fun!
However - I am now experiencing one of the above faults reported by other users - 23 charges only and Battery Health down to 90%.
To date I have been advised that it is "incorrect battery firmware" - corrected but made no difference, and "just a feature of Lithium battery technology",
Hmmm, I have produced on a spreadsheet for Spesh the details of my expected battery life expectancy.
This is based on performance figures so far- (595 days, 58 charges, should be minimum of 730 days or 300 charges whichever sooner for warranty claim)
Has anyone else seen this and what was the resolution from Specialized?
Will keep you posted.

John

Last edited:

JRCSheffield

Mar 23, 2017
Sheffield
Sorry for the long delay, the "battle" with LBS and Specialize continues.....battery firmware upgrade made no difference...Specialize have finally agreed to loan me a battery and take mine back to their workshop for further tests.
To recap where we are:

After 28 charges
This battery is fitted to a 2018 FSR Comp Levo (504 Watt?)
LBS have tested "all cells ok"
Battery Health is at 89% and now battery only charges to 90% (one green LED permanently not lit)
Will let you know what happens.

John

Advertisers