Help! Speed limit unlock !!!

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Have you thought of simply pedalling a bit faster?

If expending effort is not your thing, then speed pedelecs and electric mopeds are freely available and should have perhaps been your first port of call...

Why waste time, effort, and possibly expense, in making something go faster when you could have just bought the faster item in the first place?

Reactions: Chris M

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Have you thought of simply pedalling a bit faster?

If expending effort is not your thing, then speed pedelecs and electric mopeds are freely available and should have perhaps been your first port of call...

Why waste time, effort, and possibly expense, in making something go faster when you could have just bought the faster item in the first place?
A speed pedelec is expensive. A cheap bike plus £40 for a new controller and LCD will be a lot cheaper than any ready-made speed pedelec. Also, if you have a cheap bike, spending £70 on a new decent controller is often a very worthwhile improvement even without changing the speed limit, and it's excellent value for that £70.

Reactions: joelectric

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for answers.
It didnt question about legal or illegal.
I asked if someone would help me, remove limit or something change, thats it.
Just to clarify on the legal issues raised, the makers claim you bike assists to 25 kph, but you say it's only 22 kph in fact.

Legally one can ride an e-bike at 27 kph with no fear of prosecution since there's 10% tolerance, confirmed by the DfT.

Ergo, if you could increase that bikes speed, you could gain almost 23% on your present top assist speed.

Burr0057

Just Joined
Sep 22, 2021
Hi everyone
I have a Focus whristler 2 3.9.
Does anybody know how to remove speed
Limiter.
Kind regards Dave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
imo the controller is in the bottom of where the batt goes on top and bet it will be potted so not much you can do with that.

so you will need another controller and another batt if the one you have wont work with it.

Lithium

Just Joined
Oct 2, 2021
I don't want to change the speed of my bike but all this discussion has made me think about something related. How does the bike know how fast it's going anyway? Mine has a Shimano mid-drive. There is no speed sensor on either wheel so it can't use that to detect the speed like some e-bikes do. The crank turns at different rates for the same road speed because it has gears, so it can't use the crank speed. I'm puzzled!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Lithium

Just Joined
Oct 2, 2021
Found it! Thanks. I can see the wire going into the frame now as well, it's well hidden and it's very close to rotor which doesn't seem great.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Found it! Thanks. I can see the wire going into the frame now as well, it's well hidden and it's very close to rotor which doesn't seem great.
It needs to be very close to work correctly.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they do it to stop you using the clip on dongles like the badass ones but depends on what sensor it is using.

Advertisers