Speed links

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Anyone know if ebikes need the special ebike speed link or can an ordinary road bike speed link be fine?
There was one on my fairly new chain when I fitted the kit, not had a problem with it. They should be as strong as an ordinary link.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use normal quick links.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Anyone know if ebikes need the special ebike speed link or can an ordinary road bike speed link be fine?
A normal speed link is fine as long as you use the correct one for the chain speed.
Anything over 9 speed you aren't supposed to re-use but I re-use my 10 speed one lots of times. It helps that it's coupled to a Yamaha motor, you can't back pedal it which is when they are likely to come loose.
I think Bosch motors are the same.
I find Wippermann chains okay, they have re-usable links which you have to make sure are connected the right way up!

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
A normal speed link is fine as long as you use the correct one for the chain speed.
Anything over 9 speed you aren't supposed to re-use but I re-use my 10 speed one lots of times. It helps that it's coupled to a Yamaha motor, you can't back pedal it which is when they are likely to come loose.
I think Bosch motors are the same.
I find Wippermann chains okay, they have re-usable links which you have to make sure are connected the right way up!
Right way up when at top moving forward or bottom moving back!
Do you also have to make sure you don’t put the chain on inside out?

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Right way up when at top moving forward or bottom moving back!
Do you also have to make sure you don’t put the chain on inside out?

The chain runs either way, the link needs to be "frowning'' :(at you when fitted at the bottom between Derailleur and chain ring.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Another thought here.
Would a normal chain be suffice to take the loads of an electric bike?
Good club cyclist can exert good power, pro cyclists can exert 500w when pumping hard.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
any chain will do as long it is the right speed there is no point spending more on a ebike branded chain.

how long it lasts will depend on how much you clean and keep it lubed and id not recommend reusing quick links on 11-12 speed as i did and it broke!

Reactions: Bobajob

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If there is a hub motor there will usually be less wear on the chain than on a regular bike; it's only crank drive ebikes where there is extra wear. As said above, even then a special chain is probably not justified.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well I have always re-used kwik links on my 8 speed and my 6 speed.
I didn't know you were not supposed to, they re-use just fine and I cannot understand why you should not do so. We used to re-use the old type with a fish plate and sliding clip on both bikes and motor bikes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Well I have always re-used kwik links on my 8 speed and my 6 speed.
I didn't know you were not supposed to, they re-use just fine and I cannot understand why you should not do so. We used to re-use the old type with a fish plate and sliding clip on both bikes and motor bikes.
you are not supposed to reuse them on 11 and 12 speed chains because how thin they are.

tho i got away with it a few times but it did snap in half one day so lessen learned ;)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
you are not supposed to reuse them on 11 and 12 speed chains because how thin they are.

tho i got away with it a few times but it did snap in half one day so lessen learned ;)
Are the actual plates thinner, or is it just the chain is thinner?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the plates are thinner so you can fit more gears to the cassette why not recommended on 11-12spd chains.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
the plates are thinner so you can fit more gears to the cassette why not recommended on 11-12spd chains.

I know that the external dimensions are thinner, but are the side plates actually thinner as well?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is why i have to keep everything cleaned lubed and indexed or it gets expensive if you dont bother. ;)