SRAM eMTB specific drivetrain launched

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Each to their own, but as I don't have any issue running conventional mtb components, I won't be rushing out to change.

Just out of interest, how are you finding the gearing etc on the fat bike? :)

I have 10 speed 11-36. Suits me quite well and the Shimano drivetrain works like a dream. Occasionally I wish I had a lower gear and quite often when shifting, I shift 2 gears up or down. With pedal assist the gearing doesn't have to be as tight as on push bikes. So that 8-speed wide range cassette has some appeal, but not at that price. I'll probably go 10-speed 11-40 cassette when the time comes to replace the cassette.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
At the time of having an 11 - 36 Shimano set up on the Lycan, I often felt that the 36t was still too high. I switched to an 11 - 42 set up thinking that it would be the answer, but oddly I hardly ever use the 42t. The lowest that I go is still the 36t.

I'm using the 42 t on the hard tail Macina Race a bit more, but then again the bike is running a 16t up front rather than the 15t that the Lycan runs.

Mar 9, 2016
I might go hub gears, cleaning , degreasing and oiling derailer is a bigger task on emtb. More miles and more stress.
Tried an 8 speed hub ( nuvinci?) thought it was brilliant. Easier changing and fully enclosed..I think its way to go, especially if on single chain ring.

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
I think it's a great idea - the gearing range is way more important than having 11 or 12 gears.

However, the cassette price is simply ridiculous. The purpose of the eMTB specific drivetrain is to reduce wear... but if I can buy 6-8 cassettes for the price of one EX1 cassette, is there really any point?

You can read a review here:

http://ebike-mtb.com/en/sram-ex1-review-8-gear-drivetrain-e-mtbs/

Mar 9, 2016
I think it's a great idea - the gearing range is way more important than having 11 or 12 gears.

However, the cassette price is simply ridiculous. The purpose of the eMTB specific drivetrain is to reduce wear... but if I can buy 6-8 cassettes for the price of one EX1 cassette, is there really any point?

You can read a review here:

http://ebike-mtb.com/en/sram-ex1-review-8-gear-drivetrain-e-mtbs/
Totally agree with that. I,d got wrong idea, thought it was a hub gear system with reverting to 8.
436 % range is massive. Good article.
Very expensive but price will come down and others will copy idea.
Will still look at hub gears. They have reduced range ( to this) but I could cope with lower top gear.

Mar 9, 2016
Mentions in write up the kit will only be available to manufacturers for a while and retro fitting could have legality issues(???) Also adjustments might have to be made to controller / motor. ????
Sounds great but it is expensive.
Bet it will be on Haibikes next year.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
retro fitting could have legality issues err no lol its a 8 spd cassette not a rocket.

Also adjustments might have to be made to controller / motor. ????

no and for the price id go for the new 12spd eagle.:)

Reactions: Steve A
Mar 9, 2016
I,m quoting ,actually questioning,the write up you didn't read sw.
wp_ss_20160519_0001.png

And saying you,d go for 12 is missing point they are making about the 8..it does make sense if you read it. But it is expensive.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if retailers can fit dongles and honer the warranty the above is just rubbish.

buy the time its worn out you will be able to buy them same as the 11 spd cassettes now.

mine new was about the same price in 2014 and now can get them under 100 quid.

the only thing on my bike haibike made is the frame. allthe other parts have there own warranty anyway.

Reactions: Steve A

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Will still look at hub gears. They have reduced range ( to this) but I could cope with lower top gear.
I've fancied a nexus 8 to replace my 9spd derailleur for well over a year now but having two pr's of wheels ( knobblys & slicks) both with cassettes, it would mean either buying two new hubs or just sticking with one type of tyre. :(
Saying that, now I think of it, selling a pr of 29"er wheels/tyres should cover the cost of buying a nexus hub :)

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
The thing that worries me about changing to a Nexus 8 speed which I admit to being tempted by is that if you do get a problem you could be stranded and although I am certainly getting through cheap 9 speed cassettes, they are simple to change and when I get a problem with top gear (The gear that is most susceptible to wear having the least teeth) I just change down and carry on home and then change the cassette.

As most of us agree that you need less wider spaced gears on an ebike one Heath Robinson solution might be to put on Eddies 11-42 cassette and pair it with a larger chain ring so that the 42 is equivalent to a 36 and perhaps the two highest gears become almost redundant/overdrive gears so that my 20ish mph on road cruising speed is achieved two cogs away from top gear and in a cog with more teeth and therefore much more resistant to wear. If anyone has a link to a 9 speed cassette with a 42 cog bottom gear let me know.

Off road I have never had a problem with the cassette, my problems occur when commutting at 20/23mph on the road where I seem to wear out my top gear much quicker than a conventional bike.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I'm sticking to my std shimano xt group set, easy to repair and cheap to replace, vs the so called e-bike specific group sets. Honestly, i'm sure there are some minor improvements, but to me it's all marketing hype to get you spend more money as i'm sure we all know.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I realise that we all have preferences in relation to which system to use, but like you Steve, I really rate the Shimano XT range.

Interestingly though, I have another bike lined up, which uses the SRAM set up, and had been debating whether to remove it and sell on, in favour of fitting XT/XTR.

After doing some pretty extensive research I have decided not to.

I'm just going to go with it, and form my own hopefully unbiased and honest opinion based upon use. Come time to replace the cassette, I can still see me swapping everything for XT/XTR, but again time will tell. :)

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I agree Eddie. If SRAM is fitted go with it, but don't pay £300 for a cassette. Over the years I've had SRAM red, XT, XTR etc. MTB wise i'll stick with XT, as XTR isn't worth the extra £ vs weight IMHO.
Roadie wise i'd stick with dura ace 9000, maybe even electronic. Can't believe i said that after having what supposed to be the best roadie group set ever and certainly the most expensive i.e. campy super reg eps, was absolute rubbish!!!

Related Articles

Advertisers