Step through suggestions.

Mylosdad

Just Joined
Jan 1, 2021
Hi
My name is John, I am 72 and in fairly good health.
I have £1000 to spend in a step through e bike, which will be used for pleasure / fitness.
Most cycling will be on cycle tracks and will not involve steep climbs.I don’t expect to exceed a 20 mile round trip.
Any recommendations please, and what should I be looking for in specific features of potential bikes/ sellers.
Thanks
John

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Have a look at what is on offer with Woosh (https://wooshbikes.co.uk). Mail order only, but good value and good customer service (both pre-sales advice and post-sales service). Most are a little over the £1000, the Rambletta is under and should do you fine, but discuss it with them. (They don't want to force a sale just to get a sale and unsatisfied customer.)

It looks as if ebike prices may well go up pretty soon as a result of Brexit; there is a post by Wisper on the forum somewhere explaining that. (Wisper, like Woosh, is another well recommended small UK 'manufacturer', but I think all their bikes are a bit more expensive?)

We spent just over the £1000 on a second hand Raleigh Motus a couple of years ago and it turned out well, but beware possible battery issues on second hand ebikes; it there is anything wrong fixing it can contribute a significant addition to the price.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Kudoscycles still have sub 1k step thru's available the Safari albeit heavy is excellent value.