Still looking...

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Thomas,

there have been many bikes around at that price point over the last couple of years. They are Chinese parts-bin bikes, usually bought as a container load and the "company" then soon disappears shortly after they have sold them all.

That's not to say these bikes are worthless, you just need to bear in mind that the after-sales support will probably be non-existent within 6 months and that has implications if you need spare batteries or other parts.

I had a Cyclone bike which cost me £349 a couple of years back and I managed to complete over 5,000 commuter miles on it relatively trouble-free. The bike now is suffering quite severe rust on the front forks and headset and there is no chance of spares.

Personally I would look at it as £300 for a year's electric bike riding ! Anything else is a bonus ;)

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Hi Thomas,

there have been many bikes around at that price point over the last couple of years. They are Chinese parts-bin bikes, usually bought as a container load and the "company" then soon disappears shortly after they have sold them all.

That's not to say these bikes are worthless, you just need to bear in mind that the after-sales support will probably be non-existent within 6 months and that has implications if you need spare batteries or other parts.

I had a Cyclone bike which cost me £349 a couple of years back and I managed to complete over 5,000 commuter miles on it relatively trouble-free. The bike now is suffering quite severe rust on the front forks and headset and there is no chance of spares.

Personally I would look at it as £300 for a year's electric bike riding ! Anything else is a bonus ;)
You're absolutely right Russ,

i bought a Whirlwind, similar to the Cyclone, but 36v + 250watts, with the extras and the 2 spare batts about £500 total, i'm hoping this extremely comfortable bike will last a couple of years at most - probably 10,000 miles.

but it will have been money well spent, i really like this very heavy bike, big springs, big brakes, about 30 mile comfortable range, pedelec + throttle on demand has given me a lot to think about for my next bike.

so, cheap & cheerful it certainly was, and it is delighted that i am.

beeps

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I rode mine through all that winter could through at me. I would recommend though, especially with the cheaper bikes, to dry them off with a rag after a ride in the rain. This should help keep the rusting to a minimum.