Stolen Cytronex Cannondale Quick 5

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
My Cytronex Cannondale Quick 5 (2019 model) was stolen yesterday from outside the Public Library in Beverley. The battery wasn't with the bike, so unless the thief strips off the electrics and replaces the front wheel, the bike isn't much use to them. It is a 2019 model - grey with yellow flashes. If anyone sees a suspicious posting on social media or ebay etc please could you post me a private email. The police have been informed, so any information will be passed directly to them. Needless to say, the bike was locked to a steel cycle rack outside the Library in broad daylight. Not that it did much good. Thanks for any help in tracking it down.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I am sorry to hear that - I will keep my eyes on ebay - Out of curiosity what lock was you using, was it power tooled off and have you asked the library [council]for any CCTV[car parks, entrance and exists] (the police will not get it for you in most places), I ask only to gauge the methods used by would be thieves so others can adapt to help counteract more bike thefts.

My library has a bike rack with some large allen bolts holding the arched metal that people use I have often thought how easy it would be to remove these bolts and slide a bike off the rack even without a power tool. Youtube has some ex-thieves showing their ex-skills on how they used to steal bikes and some tips on how to hinder the process.

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
I am sorry to hear that - I will keep my eyes on ebay - Out of curiosity what lock was you using, was it power tooled off and have you asked the library [council]for any CCTV[car parks, entrance and exists] (the police will not get it for you in most places), I ask only to gauge the methods used by would be thieves so others can adapt to help counteract more bike thefts.

My library has a bike rack with some large allen bolts holding the arched metal that people use I have often thought how easy it would be to remove these bolts and slide a bike off the rack even without a power tool. Youtube has some ex-thieves showing their ex-skills on how they used to steal bikes and some tips on how to hinder the process.
The lock was one I have used for about 10 years so forget what make it was. It had a decent quality padlock on a steel chain. I guess I could and should have used a better one but hindsight is a wonderful thing. The library does have some CCTV coverage and I got a phone call from the police yesterday saying that they had been informed by the library that there is some decent quality footage. The police are allocating an officer to view the footage this week. I have also been in touch with Mark at Cytronex who will look out for any unusual enquiries for about spare batteries. One of our local cycle shops stocks Cannondales, so they will also keep a look out. No idea how the bike was removed from the rack. I guess the CCTV will show that.

Not much else I can do for now except see if the police come up with anything. Although my wife has a car, a bike is my main form of transport. If I don't get it back & have to replace it, it will be something that does not attract attention i.e. either step through frame or basic bike like Raleigh Pioneer which can be fitted with fairly discreet kit.[/QUOTE]

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I feel for you on the only transport side of things without my bike I have to rely on my dad who's not so well at times, I simply couldn't afford to keep a car. Its nice to know the local shop and your supplier will help out if the time comes, but still very sad and frustrating these things happen. I am not sure how it works but is there not a police computer system you could log the bikes serial number with, so if it ever appears in a police auction it will be flagged?

The police are allocating an officer to view the footage this week
This is refreshing to hear, personally I would give them 24 hours and then ask if this has been done, I have heard of some parts of the country where people have to investigate their own crimes... If you do get to see the CCTV hit me back on this thread and let me know how it goes.

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
Thanks for your posts. The police rang me again last night to say an officer would be viewing the CCTV footage today and ring me back with the results. The police get a lot of stick but I have to say that they have been really good in the way they are dealing with this. I would be surprised if the bike can be tracked down but you never know....

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
This is definitely a step in right direction, even if the bike is not recoverable maybe the thief will be known to the police and then with the CCTV footage him or her might face prosecution and maybe just maybe you could get some sort of compensation for you loss.... however this is just the power of positive thinking...

Keep me posted.