"Strange" German valves fitted to Kalkhoff bikes.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi....I've bought another Kalkhoff and it's fitted with the usual German valves.
I don't want to change the tubes until I'm ready to swap the tyres.
Can someone tell me how to inflate them ?
I seem to recall I had the devils own job with my last bike
..... 'til I finally bit the bullet and swapped the tyres, and tubes for Schrader.
........thanks.....Mike

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
...cheers for that but I don't think they are "Presta" valves
I have a little experience of Presta valves from hiring bikes in Spain,
...and these are different.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi....I've bought another Kalkhoff and it's fitted with the usual German valves.
I don't want to change the tubes until I'm ready to swap the tyres.
Can someone tell me how to inflate them ?
I seem to recall I had the devils own job with my last bike
..... 'til I finally bit the bullet and swapped the tyres, and tubes for Schrader.
........thanks.....Mike
Mike, do you mean the Woods valve, AKA the Dunlop valve? They look like this:
th.jpeg

If so, they are inflated using the smaller end of most track pumps - the end that also fits Presta valves. I have them on most of my bikes and never have any problem inflating the tubes.

Tom

Reactions: Mike63

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Cheers John/Tom....those are they...I remember now.
I will try again using the smaller "presta" fitting on my pump.
....thanks....Mike

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
That takes me back a few decades, the old Dunlop valves of our youth. I thought only Dutch bikes used these now. As always google is your source. Always carry a bit of spare valve tubing (looks like a condom for a mouse). It's the 'German Valves' bit that threw me.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The pressure doesn't register properly on some pumps when used on Woods valves.

Feeling the tyre is OK, but as Schwalbe point out, the pressure of some of their Marathon tyres cannot be gauged by hand because of the puncture protection.

Worth changing to Schrader when the opportunity arises.

Reactions: Mike63 and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That takes me back a few decades, the old Dunlop valves of our youth. I thought only Dutch bikes used these now. As always google is your source. Always carry a bit of spare valve tubing (looks like a condom for a mouse). It's the 'German Valves' bit that threw me.

Today's Woods/Dunlop valves don't use lengths of rubber tube as the valve, they died out long ago. Instead they have a tiny spring-loaded steel ball valve where the holes under the rubber tubing were, so no rubber tube needed or even obtainable now probably.

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Today's Woods/Dunlop valves don't use lengths of rubber tube as the valve, they died out long ago. Instead they have a tiny spring-loaded steel ball valve where the holes under the rubber tubing were, so no rubber tube needed or even obtainable now probably.
I suspect that's why pressure readings are difficult.

The valve is only open when the pump is forcing air in.

Unlike Schrader or Presta where the valve is open when the pump - or a gauge - is attached.

Reactions: Mike63 and flecc

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
I recall that I had this problem with my last bike, I could get a reading when I pumped but then it'd disappear, I decided it was a nuisance and as I didn't like the big apple tyres anyway I switched them for Shwalbe marathon plus tour tyres and changed the tubes for ones with Shrader valves.
....I then did 3000 miles without a puncture, much of it on rough terrain.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Mike,

I reckon the Impulse 2 motor, ordinary hub gears and 17ah battery on the Tasman should do you well.

Which model are you having?

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi Rob...It's the Tasman Impulse 8, a lot more comfortable with the suspension forks on the front.
17ah battery but less range (first charge 50miles) than the 15ah which registered 59 miles...this's on full power.
.....'gonna need another life before I use eco mode :)

be lucky....Mike

Advertisers