Strange Problem with 2 week old 705SE - 30 miles on the clock.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Hi, I had the same problem with my 905se regarding the controller and encountered a breakdown of communications with Wisper staff until David got involved then the matter was swiftly remedied in fairness ( although I am still waiting nearly 2 months later for 2 control box screws and a rubber wheel nut cover i was promised that would be sent) So I understand your frustration, but once it is sorted and it is only a 10 minute job I reckon you will really enjoy the bike as i have. Cheers Steve W..

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
My dealer has confirmed that through trial and error - it seems to be a controller fault. They are trying to get a spare sent, but it is getting a little late in the day for a Saturday delivery, so it looks like it will be mid next week before my new bike will be returned.

Edited

Dealer says they tried ringing Wisper with the request for a spare, but Claud wasn't available. Despite being aware of the situation, it appears that nobody bothered to ring the dealer back. This situation is now getting silly. Just how long do you have to wait for someone to take this seriously? This is a new bike - 2 weeks old, you would think it might just be marked as a priority. Seriously unhappy customer here. If this is not resolved pronto - I'm going to ask for a replacement or failing that a full refund. Because of the bank holiday I'm forced into a situation where nothing is going to happen until Tuesday next week. I expect full answers on Tuesday.

Thank you.
That’s strange, Claud told me that he had called. A new controller is being sent on Tuesday. Sorry for the inconvenience.

All the best, David

Anthony-EJ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 10, 2018
Witney - Oxfordshire
David

I'm sorry but I believe what my dealer has told me. They have kept me fully in the loop and have emailed me with updates on a daily basis. So far they have only talked with Claud once and that was when they initially talked to him about diagnosing the fault with the bike. They have left him messages, but have not actually spoken too him since that first contact. They have just informed me that they had no idea that the spare controller was being shipped. I think you have a bit of a communication problem that needs addressing.

You know I actually feel bad about posting stuff here in a public forum and in some respects I feel embarrassed doing so. I did it to try and get things resolved quickly and efficiently, but unfortunately - I was wrong.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Antony, please don’t worry, we get it wrong occasionally and really don’t mind it being aired. No one in infallible.

It also helps us to make improvements, if we were only to get favourable feedback we couldn’t do that.

I am genuinely concerned that there was an issue with the bike and we did not react quickly. I can assure you though that we will sort this out.

All the best, David

Anthony-EJ

Aug 10, 2018
Witney - Oxfordshire
I have just been informed by my dealer that a chap from Wisper is sending a spare controller out today. But had to send them a photograph of the offending unit as apparently there are various types of controller and they wanted to make sure they sent the right one. Sort of raises the question of how they knew which one to send on Saturday without this information.

I live in hope that once received, this new controller will rectify the issue. Sorry, but this sorry tale has somewhat jaded my views. If this doesn't fix the issue, then I will be refusing to accept the goods and be asking for a refund. I just cannot be bothered with any more stress (completely the wrong month to stop smoking).

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for your input Anthony.

As you say, we had agreed to send out the controller last week. We spoke to your supplier and asked them to test your bike against another in the shop to make certain it was a controller issue and not the display. We were told that you were not able to take the bike to the shop and you needed them to collect it, as you know the van used to collect your bike was not available immediately due to holidays but they would check as soon as they had made the collection.

Although we were pretty certain which controller was needed (and we were correct), Claud wanted to make certain, so he asked for an image of the controller in your bike. The last thing we wanted was for you to be left without a bike for another few days whilst the controller was being swapped.

It may seem a little over careful, rather that than to disappoint?

All the best, David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I am looking into the detail now Anthony, this issue is very much the exception rather than the rule and I want to make sure that you have been looked after as you should have been.

Just so I can get the hang of this, last Monday we heard about the issue regarding a controller that may have failed, we asked for your supplier to check the part to make sure we were supplying the correct spare under warranty. You couldn't get the bike back to your supplier so they arranged for a van to pick it up so that you weren't inconvenienced, unfortunately they couldn't do it same day due to staff holidays. However despite the van issues, the following day your bike was collected. After testing your bike and confirming with us that it was indeed the controller that had failed we asked for an image of the controller to make certain we sent out the correct part. The part was sent out exactly one week after you had first made us aware of the issue. Have I missed anything out?

All the best David

Last edited:

Anthony-EJ

Aug 10, 2018
Witney - Oxfordshire
I noticed the bike was broken on the afternoon of Sat 18th Aug. I contacted my dealer by phone to see if they could assist (in case it was something I was doing wrong). The conclusion was it was a fault and that they would contact Wisper on Monday the 20th. I gather that that they rang on Monday, but Wisper didn't respond until the next day - the 21st. The bike was collected on the 22nd and it has been with them ever since.

I started this thread on Sat the 4th Aug - not to cause Wisper and damage, but to see if anyone else could help and point out any obvious finger trouble points. A couple of guys chimed in and were very helpful - but no - just confirmed that the bike was indeed broken.

What annoys me most is that despite you telling me several times that people from Wisper have talked with my dealer - they were adamant that they only spoke with Claud once - on Tuesday the 21st - where he described the diagnostic procedure. After that - nothing - despite being re-assured by you that a conversation had taken place. Even last Friday, where you said that a spare was being sent on Tuesday - how could this have happened because how would you know which controller to send without my dealer sending photographs yesterday? And anyway - the dealer had not been informed that you were sending anything until yesterday.

So assuming that the spare part arrives today - is fitted and the bike properly tested - I don't expect to have it back before Saturday. From my perspective - that is two weeks down. I acknowledge that from your perspective - it's not been that long. But from my perspective - you have had known that the bike was faulty from the 20th.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
There seems to have been bit of miscommunication but hopefully you’Il get back on the road soon Anthony.

There are a number of very helpful dealers on here and in my experience, on this forum, David and Wisper are right at the top when it comes to after sales service.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Kenny, as long as we know about the problem we always sort it out as soon as possible. However when we get a customer who is unhappy with our service, and we do get it wrong sometimes, we learn from the experience and make tweaks inside our business.

In this case though I really don't know how much more we could have have done. There seems to have been a slight communication issue, and I have personally spoken to the dealer about this, but importantly it did not cost any time.

I am sorry that the bike had a fault in the first place, but we acted in good faith and as quickly as possible to make sure the bike is running perfectly.

We are currently selling hundreds of bikes a month, 43 went out yesterday alone, during such busy times it can take 24 hours to respond but this is unusual.

All the best, David

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ebikes are a bit unusual and when they don't work users want an instant reason why and a quick fix , this is not easy to answer and requires knowledge of electrics and diagnosis to do basic checks. If it is apart then this needs sourcing/supplying from manufacturer/importer to dealer then fitted, often as David has alluded to a lot of business happens all at the same time and now and then the a hitch occurs during the process.

The OP is a bit miffed about the 2 week delay and not having his bikes fixed but mostly suspect he is frustrated /annoyed by the process , like most of us would be. However I think you have to bite your tongue and be a little patient as Wisper are really one of the good guys for CS on the forum and in the ebike game, David like Woosh/Volt/Kudos aren't ignorant to problems and do often/regularly keep an eye on the forum to smooth any issues out esp as it impacts on their business model.

Anthony-EJ

Aug 10, 2018
Witney - Oxfordshire
David

Wow ... you really don't get it do you? - I'm just waiting for an update from my dealer before constructing another reply.

Nealh

Customer service isn't difficult. It just needs to done carefully and honestly. Yep, some mistakes are bound to happen from time to time and hopefully, people learn lessons. But I'm not convinced that is the case here.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Anthony, are you talking to me? Having looked into the issue I don't really know how much more we could have done.

How can I help you further? I really want you to be happy with your bike.

All the best, David

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Hi Anthony, I can understand your frustration having gone through the same scenario a couple of months ago, my bike was back up and running in around the same time scale as i am sure yours will probably be, I think there are a few issues here, first of all a slight communication problem at Wisper which happens at times in every company especially at their busiest time of year, secondly the controller fault which given the amount of bikes they appear to sell is a very rare occurrence ( check the threads for the Crossfire for comparison) and lastly I have been on this forum for over a year now and have to agree with other members that David and Wisper are very pro-active in trying to rectify problems. If we were talking about a car/van etc it would have had to have been collected, taken to the dealer, diagnosed, part ordered and then repaired and in fairness an Ebike is very similar with having a motor, controller and power supply, so while i do understand share your frustration maybe a little patience is due and hopefully by the end of the week you will be enjoying your bike. Steve W....

Anthony-EJ

Aug 10, 2018
Witney - Oxfordshire
I forgot to add - I lurked and used this forum extensively when researching e-bikes. It significantly helped me narrow down my search for suitable transport. It came down to Wisper or Woosh. Influenced, in part, by the apparent readiness of the owners to provide support to owners. I had a good feeling from both suppliers, but the choice to go with Wisper was because of a local dealer. Is wasn't spec's or anything as both appeared pretty good and pretty similar.

I understand the goodwill expressed by many people on here. Including NealH, Flecc and SteveW.

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Oh dear... we have done everything exactly when we have said we will do it, we have, as always, acted honourably, honestly and immediately.

The danger of being open and honest in such forums is that you leave your self open to unprecedented and undeserved attacks such as this.

I have to say, attacks like this does make one want to stop conversing on open Forums and being so open about one's business.

This the first time in 11 years that we have been treated so nastily and unfairly here on Pedelecs, however I do hope everything works out well for you Anthony.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wicky and flecc

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Steve and to everyone else that has contacted me, for your support through this rather unusual episode.

I agree there was a small confusion in communications, this does happen sometimes especially during the very busiest time of the year, and I apologise for that. Anthony is back on the road, and has not been put to any inconvenience, we could not have possibly reacted any faster. Our dealer is brilliant he could not have done any more.

I don't think there is any more that I can do? If there is Anthony, as always I am open to discuss directly with any of our bike owners. I am available to you, my private number is 07733226906 please feel free to call me at any time.

All the best, David

Last edited:

Anthony-EJ

Aug 10, 2018
Witney - Oxfordshire
My final act is to have deleted some of my posts as these were probably unfair and over the top. I have been unable to delete posts other than today's. As far as I'm concerned everything posted by me - should be removed from the forum and my account also removed. I am attempting to resolve all issue by directly contacting dave@wisper.

Advertisers