Strava Changes

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Not sure how many on here use Strava, but I have for some time.

I noticed they have made changes to restrict route planning to subscribers only.

I'm not tight, but I only use it to plan a route or post a ride for friends to see, I don't need 90% of the other stuff.

Question is, what else it good out there, so I can plan a route and download the GPX file to add to my GPS device.

I find it really useful to plans a cross mountain route, which if I stick to, I know it will bring me back home.

A quick Google brings up quite a few options, but I would rather hear from people who have practical use of them.

Or I might have to pay Strava...

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Question is, what else it good out there, so I can plan a route and download the GPX file to add to my GPS device.
I use Komoot. I like it. Works well.
Some parts of it used to be free.
Not sure what the pricing structure is with it at the moment though (can anybody else tell us?), as I bought the worldwide maps option a couple of years ago, and since I'm always logged in, can't seem to see the current pricing options!

Reactions: RetiredAndRolling

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield

I noticed they have made changes to restrict route planning to subscribers only.

I'm not tight, but I only use it to plan a route or post a ride for friends to see, I don't need 90% of the other stuff.

I find it really useful to plans a cross mountain route, which if I stick to, I know it will bring me back home.

A quick Google brings up quite a few options, but I would rather hear from people who have practical use of them.

I've used Memory Map for at least 10 years. It does everything you mention and more but is probably a lot more expensive than Strava. I have complete UK OS25k maps that cost £120. I can actually draw a route like a path on the map as opposed to point to point plotting and convert to GPX.
When abroad I use Viewranger which is free but pay about £7 per year (I think) to get extra features.
For other peoples routes anywhere in the world I use Wikiloc. You can search for routes or locations for almost any sport that you can think of. I use it for Cycling, Walking, Climbing and Via Feratta.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Calimoto seems to do what you require in the same way Strava route builder did, it may not include cycle only trails though, I've only just had a quick play with so don't have much experience with it yet.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Komoot or Viewranger

Komoot or Viewranger are good and will do what you want.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I stopped using Strava about two years ago though my Garmin's will still down load I think as default, no idea of my log in info though they still email me to which they go straight in the bin.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Komoot and/or view ranger here.
Garmin down loads to strava, but then I'm not into stats, just compete with myself.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Thanks for all the replies, I think Ride with GPS is probably my first choice, and I have been playing around a bit with that.

Only problem I have is that I cant seam to plot a custom path, which is not an actual path, if you get what I mean. On Strava you could plot custom points to make you own route across a hill for example, but unless there is a mapped path on RWGPS, it wont place a marker.

Am I doing something wrong or is this an advanced feature I have to pay for.

Thanks in advance.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Thanks for all the replies, I think Ride with GPS is probably my first choice, and I have been playing around a bit with that.

Only problem I have is that I cant seam to plot a custom path, which is not an actual path, if you get what I mean.
Don't know about ride with GPS, but Komoot will allow you to do what you want.

Related Articles

Advertisers