Suggest me bike/kit for delivery courier job

crazymaster

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2018
London
Hello!

I am food courier with Deliveroo in London.

Daily i make 80-150km range for 8-12 hours work.

My previous bike was:
- 250W motor 24V
- unrestricted controller
- 36V battery 15AH + one more battery 12AH
- my weight is 85kg

With max speed of 30-40km/h i managed to make 70-100km daily. I tried to restrict it to 25km/h and i got 30-40% more.

Now i start job again and i need new bike, please help me to buy motor kit and battery and suggest me what motor and battery i may need.
I want to get 50-60km/h max speed and to have faster accelerating than my previous bike and at least 100km range.
I think that i will need again two batteries, in case of the battery life is not enough i can charge one of the batteries while i use the other one.

I am not sure of back wheel motor is better than mid drive motor... i would be happy to get suggestions about that too :)

This was my previous bike. It was extremely comfort(because of the steering wheel, its hard to find similar model of wheel, and nice gears and disk brakes... and fat bike...
If somebody have suggestion for this too - please help me.

I am coming to London at middle of October, so i can order parts from China too if needed or i can just get them shipped from UK or around. Its COMPLETELY OK FOR ME IF SOMEBODY SUGGEST ME SECOND HAND parts or bike... cheaper price is always welcome:)

Attachments

crazymaster

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2018
London
Cheapest possible of course...
Most important is to reach 40-50+kmh and range 100+km
From ebay i see that for 48v 1000-1500w rear wheel kit with 2*48v 15ah and max speed 50+kmh i need around 800£. ..
If needed i can spend up to 1500£ for everything including bike. .. But if we can do it for cheaper its welcome :)
But i am not sure about if this is the best option for realebility/price/speed/range...

Maybe 36v motor forced with 48v battery would give better results and with cheaper price?

While working i make 2-5km then i stop for a few mins and then i continue. . So the bike can cool down a little.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Cheapest possible of course...
Most important is to reach 40-50+kmh and range 100+km
From ebay i see that for 48v 1000-1500w rear wheel kit with 2*48v 15ah and max speed 50+kmh i need around 800£. ..
If needed i can spend up to 1500£ for everything including bike. .. But if we can do it for cheaper its welcome :)
But i am not sure about if this is the best option for realebility/price/speed/range...

Maybe 36v motor forced with 48v battery would give better results and with cheaper price?

While working i make 2-5km then i stop for a few mins and then i continue. . So the bike can cool down a little.
Just to get the following out the way - The proposed build would not be legal and would be classed as an unregistered moped. The risk of prosecution is near zero, but definitely something to bear in mind.

"If you can't afford to do something properly to begin with, how are you going to afford to do it the second time around?"

I'd suggest that a budget of £1500 minimum is much more realistic to do what you want with any degree of reliability.

Firstly, forget a mid-drive motor. Your planned milage will mean more maintenance than your sanity and wallet would likely take. IMO, speeds of 50kph+ are at the limit of what a geared hub motor can reliably take. You're more than likely looking at a rear direct drive (gearless) motor.

The speeds you're talking about are also on the limit of what a hardtail can take. Much more than 50kph and a full suspension frame is advised, although you might struggle to find something suitable within your budget.

As a starting point, you might want to look at the following kit. It's powerful enough to give you the performance you want for now and provides enough leeway if you wish to upgrade the controller for more power in the future:

http://www.leafbike.com/products/diy-bike-conversion-kit/26-inch-electric-hub-motor-kit/newest-26-inch-48v-1500w-rear-hub-motor-bike-conversion-kit-987.html

I always recommend to source a battery locally. You could do a lot worse than one from https://bga-reworking.co.uk. Most of your budget should be spent on the battery and you'll need a minimum of 48V 30Ah, made with quality cells to do what you require.

If you were to lower your requirement to a maximum of 45kph, you could probably get by with a rear geared hub motor, a hardtail and a £900 budget.

Last edited: