Suitability

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Which type of bike would be most suited to riding off road on trails. These are mainly old railway lines and therefore fairly flat but with a surface that can be a bit tricky in winter. This type of riding would comprise the bulk of mine and my wifes riding.My wife has Juicy folder and has twice lost it on a muddy patch. First event not a problem but second time she ended up with a badly broken femur. So what would be the best bike.I am wondering if the balance of the folder with most of the weight at the back and small wheels could have contributed to the slip.Not criticising the bike, just suitability. Would a bike with a front wheel motor and bigger wheels be more stable on the trails. Or maybe a crank drive. Thinking the front wheel motor would be better because of weight distribution

Regards gray

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
crank drive full sus 27.5 inc wheels willl be a lot more stable than a bike with smaller wheels.

also the right tyres help alot.;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bike style may not be important but certainly look for a wheel 26" or bigger that can accommodate 2.1 ,2.25" tyres. I ride my local dsu'd rail track and with 700c x 1 3/8" tyres it is exciting stuff esp at night. The wider mtb tyres give more surface contact ( tyre pressure important in wet slippy conditions) and less digging in then narrow's and traction will be better.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Whilst a larger wheel size would obviously be preferable, I can't really see that for riding along an old railway line route, that a 20" wheel size is going to give you much a problem, for the presumed relaxed and steady leisure riding that you are doing.

Our local disused railway routes have hoards of children riding them on small wheeled bikes, and they don't seem to have an issue.

Before spending any money on a new bike, why not try something like these tyres*. http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/45351/Continental_Explorer_20Inch_Wire_Tyre

I am also guessing that your wife might well have had any confidence that she previously had, now knocked out of her, and it could be worth popping into a local shop or contacting local cycle club, to see if they could offer some hints and tips on an accompanied ride. I'm not try to sound in any way patronising about it, but it might well help. Confidence is a good way of staying upright. :)

* Shown simply for example, not recommendation. :)

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
The larger the wheel the more stable the ride, in general. The smaller wheels of 20" or less can be quite twitchy, and tend to stop (ever so temporarily) at bumps larger wheels glide over.
If your wife is on the short side then maybe a 24" wheeled bike might be an improvement for her.
I don't think the problem would be solved by a front wheel motor and could be worsened if a throttle is used on loose surfaces or if the motor control isn't well refined.
A crank drive in my view is overkill (but I'm cost conscious).
Sorry to hear about her accident and I hope full recovery including confidence is restored very soon.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there is a reason you cant get down hill forks for 29inc wheels there just to big for that as why most you see will be 26inc wheels for down hill bikes.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
The larger the wheel the more stable the ride, in general. The smaller wheels of 20" or less can be quite twitchy, and tend to stop (ever so temporarily) at bumps larger wheels glide over.
If your wife is on the short side then maybe a 24" wheeled bike might be an improvement for her.
I don't think the problem would be solved by a front wheel motor and could be worsened if a throttle is used on loose surfaces or if the motor control isn't well refined.
A crank drive in my view is overkill (but I'm cost conscious).
Sorry to hear about her accident and I hope full recovery including confidence is restored very soon.
Bob I was following behind and we weren't going fast, but I saw the front wheel wobble on hitting the mud and I think as you say that it got a twitch and locked up thereby throwing her off.I also think that the tyres are perhaps not the best for that type of terrain. Anyway bike is up for sale now and if I can persuade her to ride again I will look very closely at the type of bike

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Whilst a larger wheel size would obviously be preferable, I can't really see that for riding along an old railway line route, that a 20" wheel size is going to give you much a problem, for the presumed relaxed and steady leisure riding that you are doing.

Our local disused railway routes have hoards of children riding them on small wheeled bikes, and they don't seem to have an issue.

Before spending any money on a new bike, why not try something like these tyres*. http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/45351/Continental_Explorer_20Inch_Wire_Tyre

I am also guessing that your wife might well have had any confidence that she previously had, now knocked out of her, and it could be worth popping into a local shop or contacting local cycle club, to see if they could offer some hints and tips on an accompanied ride. I'm not try to sound in any way patronising about it, but it might well help. Confidence is a good way of staying upright. :)

* Shown simply for example, not recommendation. :)

Yes Eddie the same applies on the trails I ride with many children on small bikes and I certainly didn't forsee the problem so maybe that type of tyre may help. The ones on at the moment are perhaps more suited to roads . As regards confidence , yes it certainly has taken a knock and only time will tell but I will be trying to get her back in the saddle

Regards

Reactions: Emo Rider
there is a reason you cant get down hill forks for 29inc wheels there just to big for that as why most you see will be 26inc wheels for down hill bikes.
total nonsense I'm afraid. All top DH bikes run 27.5" wheels and have done for a few years now.

Luke Stroble even just won a top class DH race on his 29er trail bike.

http://www.mbr.co.uk/videos/watch/watch-luke-strobel-win-a-downhill-race-on-a-29er-trail-bike

You can't get DH forks in 29er versions, but all modern DH forks are supplied in 27.5. 26" is pretty much dead in DH, has been for a good few years now.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
got them on this bike, forks that is

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
29er be not so good on a track like this tho,

Most of the worlds top Enduro guys and girls race on 29ers and the tracks that are raced on are just as technically challenging as the DH tracks (just without the jumps).

a 29er would be fine down Champéry, if the geometry of the bike was set up correctly. Now trail bikes are nice and low and slack they are much much more versatile than the xc Carbon race bikes that most people associate 29ers with.