Sunlova Kit Help

stormb22

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2010
thanks for all who answered some questions and give some advise on the sunlova kit this is a new post and would appreciate any tips or info you guys may have , as far as i can make out there is no fault as such with the kit it seems to lack power (of any use) in the assist mode it seems the controller does not let enough power through. the problem is i bought the kit some 8 months ago and only just got round to fitting it and is out of guarantee so return is not an option.reading some reviews and stuff it appears that some have said about lack of power. i wanted to have a lighter electric bike so fitted this kit to my claud butler hybrid the whole bike with the kit weighs in at 23kgs (which is fairly good for an e-bike) using 35 hybrid tyres i weigh in at 93kg . i am wondering if maybe the controller supplied with this kit is not good enough and would replacing it for a better one increase power in pedal assist mode or would i just be wasting my money? i also have a alien special (which i guess i am comparing it to !) and the sunlova kit is not a patch on it.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
My sunlova Kit came with the 15amp controller and in assit mode you can add additional magnets to help the power kick in sooner.

Peak power and draw appears to be at 8-9mph using 14.8amps on my watt meter @ 33v = 488.4watts

I personally think its quite good the power I am getting although still after more umph past 15mph as I cycle constantly and can easily manage to keep the bike there.

What Battery do you have with the Kit and the voltage?

You could buy an E-crazyman programable controller that will allow to adjust amps and have voltage between 36 -100v.

Upping the amps from 15 to say 20 would give you more torque.
Please remember though its a pedal assist system.

stormb22

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2010
the battery i have with the kit is 36v with panasonic cells i now belive they have changed the battery the pedal assist is useless and you end up putting in more effort to ride (taking in to account the motor drag and weight) if that makes sense.my neighbour has a powacycle 24v & 200w motor and it is ten times better.

D

Deleted member 4366

A couple of suggestions. Firstly. you need to thicken the wires to the switch before you think about upgrading the controller, otherwise you might get a fire. You have to dismantle the plastic box thing that the battery plugs into - I'm assuming that your switch is located here. Inside, you'll see very thin wires to the switch. Unsolder them and put some thick wire there instead. Next, you should think about shortening the wires to the motor, which on mine were miles too long. My first controller was marked 8amp, while as my Sunlova bike was marked 9amp. I upgraded, but it didn't seem to make a lot of difference, but every amp counts. The battery seemed to take a few cycles before it developed full power, so you might be judging it a bit too soon. Finally, tyres make a big difference, so make sure you're comparing like with like.
In spite of all these things, I suspect that it's the controller power that's holding you back, you can get a 15 amp controller from EVassemble or a similar one from BMSbattery, but you need to get the pedal sensor to go with it. They cost peanuts (60p for the pedal sensor from BMSbattery)

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The e-crazyman controllers ship from a UK address, just drop him an email with your requirements. They are voltage limited though, you cant run a 36v controller at 100v as you'll exceed the cap voltages and also the FETs.

stormb22

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2010
sunlova

great thanks for all your information and tips , this kit was close to going in the bin !

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
If it does i'll buy the battery lol