Suspension seat post

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I've ordered a suspension seat post to try out on my MTB bike. Who knew it was a thing because I never.
I tried a bigger saddle but that never helped the comfort, but the bigger 2.00 tyres have made a massive difference.
Anyone fitted and rode with a suspension saddle post?
Just asking for interest.

Titanium Alex

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2023
I've ordered a suspension seat post to try out on my MTB bike. Who knew it was a thing because I never.
I tried a bigger saddle but that never helped the comfort, but the bigger 2.00 tyres have made a massive difference.
Anyone fitted and rode with a suspension saddle post?
Just asking for interest.
I use a Suntour ncx pot on my bike. It's great :)

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
I have two, one for the MTB and one for the city bike. Inexpensive and rather good. Totally transformed the ride. Best £16 you can spend on your bike.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I have two, one for the MTB and one for the city bike. Inexpensive and rather good. Totally transformed the ride. Best £16 you can spend on your bike.

That's the sort I've ordered. Bit of a punt as I didn't know they existed until I seen one on YouTube last week. Glad to hear they are good

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
I suspect that the parallelogram seat posts are a big step up, and not overly expensive (£60-£70), but, if you're on a budget, the Zoom posts are surprisingly good. My Orbea city bike runs 700x50 tyres yet they are actually quite firm (even at the min recommended 50psi) and the first few rides were fairly bumpy. The Zoom seat post has smoothed it out considerably and the comfort level has shot up. I'm 70kg and tuned it to the soft setting.

Reactions: Titanium Alex

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I put a Suntour NCX on my Titanium framed hardtail recently.

Well worth the cost, gives a very comfortable and relaxing ride on our modern moonscape type roads.

Reactions: Titanium Alex

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I think suspension seat posts are brilliant, cheap, easy to maintain and adjust. They can take a while to adjust to just how you want them to be and if you gain or lose weight or you will need to adjust again. Combine one with a sprung saddle and it will turn even the harshest aluminium framed bike into a joy to ride. Years ago though I remember knowing when a certain cyclist was approaching as he never greased his suspension seat post so always creaked when he was going up hill. I'm pretty sure it was the suspension seat post creaking as you could see the saddle going up and down as he went up hill.

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
Another vote for the Suntour NCX from me too. We have one on the back of the tandem and I have one on my hack bike for taking the worst of the shocks out of our pock-marked urban roads.

If you can stretch to it, I think the parallelogram types are worth the extra cost over the telescopic variety.

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
I did think about the Suntour but wasn't able to check if the seat's rearward movement would impinge upon my under-saddle controller bag / rack mounted battery setup. Probably not and I can check that once everything is fitted. In the meantime, very pleased with the cheapo Zoom.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I’ve 4 bikes all with NCX seat posts, I wouldn’t ride without one.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Update

Suspension seat post was too high for my bike.
On lowest setting I was sat too high as I couldn't touch the floor with my feet. Just how my bike is being it's 22inch frame, which is a tad big for me tbh but ok with original seat on lowest setting. Should of thought about that..

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Update

Suspension seat post was too high for my bike.
On lowest setting I was sat too high as I couldn't touch the floor with my feet. Just how my bike is being it's 22inch frame, which is a tad big for me tbh but ok with original seat on lowest setting. Should of thought about that..
That's definitely an issue with suspension seat posts if you have a frame almost too big for you and then the suspension seat post takes it beyond that with its extra length. You can adjust the spring tension so its sags more but this may not be the ideal spring tension for normal riding.

Reactions: Wayners

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
That's definitely an issue with suspension seat posts if you have a frame almost too big for you and then the suspension seat post takes it beyond that with its extra length. You can adjust the spring tension so its sags more but this may not be the ideal spring tension for normal riding.
exactly my problem with seat posts - luckily I did realise the problem before placing an order. I find momemtarily lifting my weight off the saddle on bumpy tracks/roads does help instead.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
My seat post is a pressure chip type Vs a nut on a thread.
Its good for quick release to remove seat but not great for a firm hold. If I can't get it tight enough I may need to look up alternative like a nut and bolt.
Can I swap quick release seat post clamp for a nut and bolt?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Can I swap quick release seat post clamp for a nut and bolt?
I don't see why not.
My seat post and saddle is worth more than £100, so I don't think quick release is a good idea. I am even considering putting a steel ball into a bolt or rounding it up. After all I don't change seat height very often. I have something like that:

Last edited:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I tightened the quick release to the point I had to hit it shut with wooden mallet. That seems to have worked. Bet it's not a quick release anymore. Ha

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I had a related problem with my dropper post. It was fine for me as I need a high saddle with a restricted knee bend after a new knee job. When I let thesaddle down so my daughter could use it, I noticed it was very reluctant to operate until raised again slightly. As I discovered when taking it off to repair recently, the cable was scuffed and slightly crushed. The cable had got squashed between the bottom of the seat post and a pivot point on the rear suspension. Luckily the inner cable still runs free.

Related Articles

Advertisers