Aug 17, 2006
Reviewer: Graham

Retailer: Sustain

Purchase Price: £620

Time Owned: 6 weeks

Terrain: Moderate Hills

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:
1) Comes with front and rear mudguards, suspension, lights, comfortable saddle, a bike stand.
2) Light and portable Charger (if you had to carry it from home to work or elsewhere)
3) Aesthetically pleasing
4) Comfortable ride
5) Choice of tyres at purchase
6) Rear Disc Brake

Weaknesses:
1) No Manual provided with bike - i had this on a bike costing half as much, and expect it more so with an electric bike.
2) No assembly instructions provided for flat packed bike
3) Seemingly no pre-delivery inspection - rear mudguard does not stay set in position, front wire came off dynamo, front mudguard constantly drops onto tyre, both tyres were under inflated significantly on delivery.
4) Battery capacity meter useless. All 5 lights stay on till around 17.5 miles and then the remaining 4 go during the next 2 miles. I would of preferred 5 lights, each = 20% charge gone...makes more sense
5) Battery has not given me the 20 miles stated (19.5 most)
6) Scratch marks appear easily (you need to be extra careful with locking it up to things)

Summary:
I have used the bike on various terrain, ranging from road, hills and loose gravel and it has coped with all that thus far. The motor certainly helps keep me moving at the near 18mph mark with little effort and the help it gives you up hills is reassuring.

Being able to switch to full electric is useful for the 15 miles I have to do as it gives a breather and trundles along at just above 15mph. One quirk I have noticed is that if the Glide 3 switch is set to E or S then even with no throttle it is engaged and remains so until you stop peddling (ie the bike slows down) for a second or so. This in effect means the power is on a little longer then you realise.

The Disc Brake feels a little weak to me and I will have to tweak it to provide better braking.

Its not an expensive bike by ebike standards, but it is not cheap at £620 for the average Brit with enough demands on their cash. I cant comment on the reliability or otherwise as I have not done the miles with it as yet.

Im happy with the bike, teething troubles aside. I have no comparison to make against other ebikes, so for example couldn't comment if the motor is comparably noisy to other makes.

Overall Rating: 8