Taking Strides

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I have been closely studying the Strida folding bike. A folding bike has to do two things. It has to fold, and it has to act as a bike. Often, bikes are better at one than the other. It would seem to me that the Strida is a lot better at folding than riding. However, all things are a compromise, and for many purposes, it would do the job. What I have in mind is to visit another town using my bus pass, and then have a ride around town.
The Strida is a brilliant piece of design, and probably very easy to take on a bus. I do have some criticisms however. It is not a cheap bike. I feel that it could be made much cheaper without compromising its usefulness, or making it much heavier. The more off-the-shelf parts that can be used, the lower the cost. This is how I would change the design.
1. Get rid of the single sided wheels and forks. at the cost of a slightly wider fold.
2.Replace discs with V brakes.
3.Replace belt drive with a chain plus guard.
4.Using the money saved fit a three speed hub.
I am seriously thinking of actually making one if I can persuade my mate to weld it for me, as i can no longer see to weld.
Has anyone ridden a Strida?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Only a very brief try, but that convinced me it wasn't a good proposition. You've summarised the chief points well, much better to fold than to ride. I'd agree with reviews I've seen, mainly for short local low speed use and not particularly pleasant compared to a normal bike.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I just watched a video on Youtube about the design process of the original Strida. The designer talks about what he is aiming to achieve. In the video, dated 2006, he says he wants the bike to sell for less than £100. So that is one thing he failed to achieve. Current price on Ebay, including shipping from Taiwan, is £558.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I think the Mezzo is the perfect 16" folding bike but then I'm biased :p It can take any off-the-shelf parts unlike Brompton and other small folders.. and fine for taking on buses and trains. Only 10cm difference on the fold to Brompton but what a difference on the ride according to comparisons.

It unfolds VERY fast, in fact it almost unfolds itself with the self-locking catches, but the folding down is somewhat complicated and takes a lot of practice. As you say, it's always a compromise somewhere. £800 is not cheap new, but you can pick them up second hand for bargain prices and they don't show much wear with the anodised frames.

I could be a salesman for Mezzo that company needs all the help it can get by the looks of things. I don't get why more people don't love them..maybe the weird looking Z-shaped front puts people off. But this post was about the Strida!

Advertisers