Techie help?

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I know a few (most?) of the pedelecians are more computer-comfortable than me so any assistance would be appreciated. I was away for 10 days and when I came back my desktop (HP Pavilion) booted up but put out no signal to the monitor. I took it to a computer repair shop here in Phnom Penh and he changed one of the RAM boards and it worked again - but only for a few (admittedly hard-working) hours. Now I have the same problem again - it seems to boot fine but the monitor stays blank. Apart from the most obvious things (I have checked the monitor cable is secure) can anyone suggest what my options are. Try to get it fixed again and hope that this time it sticks or give up on it (it is only about 18 months old)?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If the monitor cable connects low down on the back of the tower and the connector is horizontal, you probably have a separate graphics board. These plug into a motherboard slot so it's worth unplugging and replugging it to ensure the connections on the plig in slot are secure. You'll see that there is a securing screw on the rear mounting plate that has to be removed first to do that. Of course unplug from the mains before opening the R/H case side.

Alternatively, if the monitor lead connector is vertically plugged in higher up on the left of the rear of the tower case, it has onboard graphics. In that case it's back to the computer shop for diagnosis and attention.

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Failing that, sometimes the DIMM will keep blowing. If you have more than one, remove the one that blew last time and see if it sorts it out

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
Thanks guys - my man replaced the graphics board and everything is go again - for now ....

The computer is now eerily quiet though - it used to make quite a racket when converting video for iPad, eg, but now it just gets on with it quietly.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's possible then that the graphics board fan motor had been packing up and kicking up a racket. The board overheating through lack of cooling can cause it to fail.

Glad it's quiet now and cool in both senses!

Advertisers