Temporary Bike Swap Anyone?

pwylie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2008
On my journey into work (13.25 miles on my Heinzmann assist) this morning it occurred to me one of the challenges in comparing one type of bike with another is because of the impact that rider input makes to making an assessment.

One possible solution would be to encourage forum users living near to one another to swap bikes for a week or two an post the the results of the comparision on line. That way it would be a bit easier to compare, say a Kalkhoff Agattu with a Trek Cytronexs. Each assessment would still be subjective but it would make for interesting reading.

There would have to be some basic swap rules to protect each party such as any damage to be repaired before return and a stolen or written off swap would mean no return of swapped bike until recompense has been made but with goodwill on both parties it could work. I'd welcome any thoughts.

P.S. I have several hundred miles now on the clock of my Heinzmann kit bike and will post a review in due course. My each way commute of 13.25 miles in under an hour (556 mins) is managable now for various reasons it was not using leg power alone. Given the cost of my bike at £250 & kit of £1330 I believe that there would be cheaper ways of puting a good bike together such as the Cytronexs & a few swap reviews may help a lot of people like me buy the right tool for the job.

P.S. I have several hundred miles now on the clock of my Heinzmann kit bike and will post a review in due course. My each way commute of 13.25 miles in under an hour (556 mins) is managable now for various reasons it was not using leg power alone. Given the cost of my bike at £250 & kit of £1330 I believe that there would be cheaper ways of puting a good bike together such as the Cytronexs & a few swap reviews may help a lot of people like me buy the right tool for the job.
We do of course recognise that the Heinzmann kit is not cheap and will continue to try our hardest to make it as cheap as is possible whilst maintaining UK based stock and pre/after-sales support.

With the bigger battery you have (Li-Ion 9.6Ah) one option would be to go for an analogue kit. They miss the twist-grip-mounted battery status display but are still available with Li-Ion battery and, if you go for the e-bike version rather than pedelec, the kit comes in at £1130 (SRP), £200 cheaper than the digital pedelec kit.

For those with a less onerous commute (I presume you do the 26m return trip on a charge), the analogue kit with 5.2Ah Li-Ion battery starts at £945 (SRP) for the e-bike version, £1015 for the pedelec.

I know this is still very serious money and don't wish to suggest otherwise but for those who would still prefer the Heinzmann option this shows that there are some cheaper alternatives available.

Last edited:

pwylie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2008
EmotivePete, I did not plan criticize the Heinzmann; it does exactly what I need it to do. I knew the price before I placed the order. Nor am I skint - otherwise it would need to be a car replacement rather than an alternative. It is a lot of cash though if there is high praise for a hub kit already installed into a Trek for £1,000.

Key for me was the knowledge that there was local aftersales support via Kinetics if I needed it. It looks well designed and I have had no issues and I have put several hundred miles on it already.

Currently it does not do the return 26.5 miles on one charge. This is because I enjoy using & abusing the power via acceleration from a standing start at lights and not keeping it on Eco at all. I am sure it could do but I have not tried it yet - I am still enjoying the novelty

I have a great bike now with a great engine. Would still like to try a Pro-Connect or a Cytronex to compare though.