Tempted by some new emtb's 2020

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I'm disappointed with Bosch. Their 2019 CX has much too much drag and then 4 months after I purchased the bike, they come out with Gen 4 CX, no drag. No reverse engineering to possibly replace the old motor, no incentives from bike manufacturers. If I get a new bike, I'll probably go with Shimano
The next Gen Bosch motors/systems could promise to make that Levo SL drive system approach commonplace for small motor/battery size/weight - probably making all current Bosch Gen systems obsolete anyway as too big, too heavy, too power hungry...

Bosch's new 1-billion Euro Silicone Carbide chip factory is due to open this Spring. I'm not sure if anyone else has referenced this article on the forum yet, but it seems to me this could be something of a game-changer:

"The new microchips developed by Bosch are made out of a material called silicon carbide... the first time they've been applied to e-bike systems... much less heat energy is dissipated... bring more power to electric motors... 50 percent less energy is lost in the form of heat... more efficient power electronics and more energy for the electric motor and therefore for the battery range... also make it possible to make batteries smaller without decreasing the range... Bosch's billion euro cash injection into the tech is their largest single investment they've ever made in the company's history, and production of the new microchips is set to begin in spring 2020."

Reactions: Steve A

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Marcus, This happens with many things. I need to update my home nas drive, so do i buy the current 2018 model or wait for a 2020 model, if it arrives at all.
I'm generally happy with my Bosch motor (with dongle). There's no perfect motor, apparently the shimano is noiser, the new Bosch 2020 makes a knocking sound off road at low speed etc etc.

I'm taking my time looking for a bike, infact i may just keep mine as i don't really need a new one, just a want.

D

Deleted member 25121

I'm disappointed with Bosch. Their 2019 CX has much too much drag and then 4 months after I purchased the bike, they come out with Gen 4 CX, no drag. No reverse engineering to possibly replace the old motor, no incentives from bike manufacturers. If I get a new bike, I'll probably go with Shimano
It's frustrating but I can't see Shimano or any other supplier not making large steps like this when there are clear benefits.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Marcus, This happens with many things. I need to update my home nas drive, so do i buy the current 2018 model or wait for a 2020 model, if it arrives at all.

if you need the speed ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
depends what res you are using.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's like anything progress and things move on, there are threads and advice in the search index to give an over view of which Bosch gen motors and gearing are the better to ride unassisted or have less engineered drag.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I must admit after having 4 Bosch cx gen3 motors i went to shimanos e8000 and have not regretted it once
8months in and 2k and not a single issue and it gets used properly :)
ive probably just cursed it now mind you lol

Reactions: Woosh

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
I must admit after having 4 Bosch cx gen3 motors i went to shimanos e8000 and have not regretted it once
8months in and 2k and not a single issue and it gets used properly :)
ive probably just cursed it now mind you lol
Yea, my riding buddy has the E8000 and he likes it alot. I have tried it, but only it short bursts. I should take it for a long ride.
Olympia has come out with a new product with a 900 w battery that, if good, could revolutionize the E mtb market.

Reactions: Fat Rat

Related Articles

Advertisers