Help! Tern HSD to GSD

forzavelo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 18, 2021
Cheshire
I currently have a Tern HSD S8i. I use it almost daily and mostly for commuting to work. I have had this bike for two years and so far it has been utterly reliable in the most atrocious weather & road conditions. But I have a hankering for a GSD because of the extra battery. The better Bosch system and the more powerful motors.

But I think I want talking out of it as it will mean dipping deeply into my pockets. And im not certain what actual benefits it will bring. I mostly feel frustrated by the limited battery range the 400w gives. Perhaps I should just invest in a used 500w battery.

Did you make the jump. Im interested in your thoughts either way.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
They are both way too spendy for me...I can't give sound advice as I couldn't justify buying either of them. As for range, what range do you require and what do you get out of your current 400wh? I guess if you need the range you need the range. 400wh to 500wh battery upgrade only buys you another 25%. If I needed more than that I would add some cargo to my cargo bike and just carry a 2nd battery for those long trips and keep the bike I had, but that's because I am financially challenged.

For my completely different, non-Bosch ebike I'm getting 60 to 70 hilly miles out of a 480wh battery, but I am not carrying a lot of cargo and I like pedalling. I guess if I needed just 20% more range I would start with how I could get that out of my current investment by adjusting my riding style. Lower assist level, slower speed, more pedalling, carry less weight. Picking a lower gear and tackling hills at a slightly lower speed can add considerable range and may not have a massive impact on end-2-end journey time. Obviously this only takes you so far and maybe you have already done this?

I would be cautious of a used battery unless very cheap or you knew it's background. Used ebike batteries are not where I would be looking to save money as may well be a false economy.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I currently have a Tern HSD S8i. I use it almost daily and mostly for commuting to work. I have had this bike for two years and so far it has been utterly reliable in the most atrocious weather & road conditions. But I have a hankering for a GSD because of the extra battery. The better Bosch system and the more powerful motors.
Why don't you add a secomd battery to your Tern? You can use any standard Chinese one that wouldn't cost much and wouldn't be difficult to fit, or you can use the ready-made Bosch system, which will be a bit more expensive.