The "death" of the car, (as we know it)

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
First off, I'm not anti car, just anti unnecessary car. The car has always sold because it offers "something better", independence choice, blah blah blah. With all the media coverage about diesel, pollution charges etc, many think the imminent demise of the internal combustion engine is a step backwards, but is it ? Personally, a properly managed integrated transport system would benefit many, the use of bicycles/e-bikes, or walking does have huge positive health benefits over being a lard- **se sitting in a car. So how else could things be improved ? Secure in town parking / charging hubs is one, incorporating universal battery charging (it took the phone manufacturers long enough to get that one right). Better facilities for transporting bikes via bus/train. (Works well in Berlin) Fast chargers, and decent clothing that doesn't make you look like a overweight ballet dancer ready to burst out at the crotch.
The current climate gives manufacturers a golden opportunity to market e-bikes, let's see what happens.
Anything that I've missed ?

Reactions: LeighPing

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Our weather,

rain, sleet, -5C etc,

car or bike..... which one will people take??
You have a point, but we do get occasional periods of "good weather". For many years I've cycle all year round, including deep snow and don't give it a second thought, I suppose its what you're used to. My choice of clothing has evolved over the years out of necessity, and strangely, with the exception of waterproof leggings, none of it is cycle specific, and it keeps me warm and dry.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Just bought an F type...another few years and this type of car will be gone...as will I...so make hay whilst sunshines... a totally unnecessary car..absolutely love it... Thought I,d never improve on Boxster S...but this does and its British.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Our weather,

rain, sleet, -5C etc,

On our east coast including Antrim the nyber of
Our weather,

rain, sleet, -5C etc,

On the east coast including Antrim the weather is not usually bad... probably more benign than Holland we don't often get the -5 which mainland Europe gets.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Anything that I've missed ?
Yes, that it won't happen. :)

I've got two cars and they are both 4 wheel drive, how naughty can one person be!

One is a very compact petrol car with 4wd to cope with adverse conditions in my very hilly area. The other is a 4wd pickup that I use for my voluntary work in rough country off-road where the 4wd is essential to carry its one tonne loads.

You have to accept that bikes and public transport can't answer all needs, and goodness knows I've tried more than most. Just look below at the home made trailer and the sort of loads I've cycled with on my hills:

Last edited:

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Yes, that it won't happen. :)

I've got two cars and they are both 4 wheel drive, how naughty can one person be!

One is a very compact petrol car with 4wd to cope with adverse conditions in my very hilly area. The other is a 4wd pickup that I use for my voluntary work in rough country off-road where the 4wd is essential to carry its one tonne loads.

You gave to accept that bikes and public transport can't answer all needs, and goodness knows I've tried more than most. Just look below at the home made trailer and the sort of loads I've cycled with on my hills:

I stay in Highland Scotland, remote and mountainous, and down a dead end track, I've just about made it work. I chucked my 4 x 4 twenty years ago, I'm no "eco warrior" I just decided it was time to simplify things and have what I need, rather than what I want. My nearest bus/train/shop is ten miles away, so my wife still keeps a small car which gets used for the monthly shop and for emergencies,and I still have an old motorcycle (which hasn't moved much in the last three years) otherwise the bike gets used for everything else. If I need anything big shifted I pay someone or call in a favour. When the time comes to move to town the car will go. :)

Reactions: E-Wheels

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I stay in Highland Scotland, remote and mountainous, and down a dead end track, I've just about made it work. I chucked my 4 x 4 twenty years ago, I'm no "eco warrior" I just decided it was time to simplify things and have what I need, rather than what I want. My nearest bus/train/shop is ten miles away, so my wife still keeps a small car which gets used for the monthly shop and for emergencies,and I still have an old motorcycle (which hasn't moved much in the last three years) otherwise the bike gets used for everything else. If I need anything big shifted I pay someone or call in a favour. When the time comes to move to town the car will go. :)
Lots can do it, at one time all my South London friends owned cars, but now only two do, and even they mostly use public transport. The rest all use public transport and two use a bike as well.

It's not possible for me though, doing what I do, and being 81 years old is a limiting factor. Once I've finished my current program of heavy path repair work in a nature reserve the pickup will go and I'll just use my small 4wd car in there for remaining lighter duties (it can carry 300 kilos) as well as my personal use.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
being 81 years old is a limiting factor.
sadly that's a factor that governs us all and can't be avoided :( when I get too worn out to hack logs, I'll be off to a flat in the nearest town, being able to walk to a shop will be a luxury that I look forward to. (and a cafe, library, cinema, pub;)).

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
when I get too worn out to hack logs,
Hopefully that will be a long time yet, it's surprising what we can do in old age when we set our minds to it. I've just picked up two one tonne loads of loose gravel this afternoon, unloaded them myself and spread it on muddy paths. Friday I did three one tonne trips doing the same and I've dealt with 37 tonnes in the current program.

If you want to you should still be hacking logs for many a year yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAN

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
I use the eBike most days to travel to work, it's a 24 mile round trip, half of the journey is on a very good traffic free cyclepath, the other half unfortunately is on a single carriageway A - road. Whilst many people would do the nice bit the whole journey would not be to many peoples tastes. However occasionally I have to travel to other more distant sites, usually about once a week, there is no realistic public transport option for this so for the moment I have to keep the car.

My wife works from home but occasionally (2-3 times a week) has to visit clients carrying quite a bit of gear. So she also needs a car, we tried sharing but inevitably we need a car at the same time.

My daughter works as a care visitor so definitely needs a car in our rural area.

We cut back on foreign holidays (passenger jets, massive pollution!) a while back, we used to camp a lot but the wife's health makes that difficult now so we've bought a motorhome, we're on a low budget so its an old diesel model.

The point of this? Well even in a household that's trying to reduce reliance on internal combustion vehicles we have ended up running 4 for 3 people!

• Agree

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
I considered what I really needed a car for and I probably don't, but it is really useful for things I want to do. So I ended up buying a bigger one, an old diesel 4X4 (Boo, Hiss) and using it less. I intended to run it on Biodiesel, but I can't find a source at the moment. It's really good at the jobs that bikes are rubbish at, like towing caravans and carrying heavy stuff. It's bad around town or commuting, but that's what bikes are for.

Plus I can get my ebike in the back. Makes a good bike shed / canoe rack.

Now I've just got to get my wife to stop using the other car, which she doesn't "need" but finds very convenient, especially with two children. She doesn't cycle (must get her to try an ebike) and won't drive the big car which she doesn't think she can park. Actually that probably works quite well environmentally, the large car is only used when it's "needed". Though the smaller one isn't much cleaner, ideally that would be an electric, but I can't afford one.

Both children cycle, but even I don't think they'd be safe on the road. I've tried riding with them using cycle infrastructure and it's a nightmare. Go, stop, wait cross the road, go again, cross the busy road again... So we drive most places. Public transport doesn't even figure when you need four tickets.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
I use the eBike most days to travel to work, it's a 24 mile round trip, half of the journey is on a very good traffic free cyclepath, the other half unfortunately is on a single carriageway A - road. Whilst many people would do the nice bit the whole journey would not be to many peoples tastes. However occasionally I have to travel to other more distant sites, usually about once a week, there is no realistic public transport option for this so for the moment I have to keep the car.

My wife works from home but occasionally (2-3 times a week) has to visit clients carrying quite a bit of gear. So she also needs a car, we tried sharing but inevitably we need a car at the same time.

My daughter works as a care visitor so definitely needs a car in our rural area.

We cut back on foreign holidays (passenger jets, massive pollution!) a while back, we used to camp a lot but the wife's health makes that difficult now so we've bought a motorhome, we're on a low budget so its an old diesel model.

The point of this? Well even in a household that's trying to reduce reliance on internal combustion vehicles we have ended up running 4 for 3 people!
Second-hand Nissan Leafs are cheap.

• Agree

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
That depends on your definition of "cheap". They are still a lot more up front than second-hand ICE cars.

I can see me owning one in the future, though. Leafs can't tow, so we'd still "need" a bigger car as well.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Second-hand Nissan Leafs are cheap.
That depends on your definition of "cheap". They are still a lot more up front than second-hand ICE cars.
Keep a close eye on the second hand Leafs, sometimes people really need to shift one. The most amazing price I saw was £10,500 for a flawless minimal mileage seven month old one with owned battery, not leased. £10,000 down in seven months! It's advert appeared on the Thursday afternoon and sold Saturday morning, if I had charging facilities I'd have bought it first.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They may well be, but since we have a garage in a block so no electric to where we park the car at home and my employer doesn't have charging points, I'm not sure how practical that would be.
I have the same problem and the cost of laying on electricity to my garage totals £6000, which I'm just not prepared to pay on top of the e-car price.

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
They may well be, but since we have a garage in a block so no electric to where we park the car at home and my employer doesn't have charging points, I'm not sure how practical that would be.

The wife's car is a Hybrid though
You have however piqued my curiosity.

Cheapest Leaf on ebay at the moment is £5 and a half K. Plus £70/month battery lease. Range of that model is 75 miles, on the days I need the car my mileage would be typically in the 60-80 mile range so I'm not seeing this as a practical option.

• Agree

Advertisers