The Doctor's Surgery

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
Maybe it's the advanced average age of the forum, but I often see complaints of ailments. So now it's me, as I've struggled for weeks with back spasms and ended up with a slipped disc, making cycling impossible just now:eek:

It's forced me to rethink my love of crank bikes, as I'm told I shouldn't rely on being able to pedal all the time. Also given me a bit better perspective on the opposition in the forum to the proposed ban on throttle only use of bikes.

Anyway, I'm not giving up ebikes, but I am replacing my Kalkhoff ProConnect S with a hub bike. As usual, I'll post the PCS in the Classifieds here and give forum members first shot (at a discount) before it goes on ebay. I know Aldby got £1500 for his recently, but it's unlikely mine is quite so mint.

I've not found the 2009 spec on the web, but it's the 1.5 power model from June last year on a medium diamond frame with the 9 gear Deore XT derailleur. It's served me brilliantly and probably done about 40 miles a week commuting in reasonable weather only. The battery shows no sign at all of decline and it's in great condition bar a few scratches where I once dropped the battery:eek: , on the pedals (enthusiastic cornering) and bar-ends. It's a cliche, but it is a very reluctant sale.

The replacement? A Wisper Alpino on the smaller 26" wheels- I've been very impressed by David's back-up in my couple of years here. Sure enough he's been through the hoops off-line with me to get the right choice sorted out :) .

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Ouch! That must hurt :eek:

I doubt you'll be disappointed in the Alpino but I'm willing to bet it will feel different after the Kalkhoff. Ohhhh to have a throttle and just glide when you've cream-crackered yourself on a sprint :eek: Wonderful feeling :D

Vikki.

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
Ouch! That must hurt :eek:

I doubt you'll be disappointed in the Alpino but I'm willing to bet it will feel different after the Kalkhoff. Ohhhh to have a throttle and just glide when you've cream-crackered yourself on a sprint :eek: Wonderful feeling :D

Vikki.
:eek: ouch to the very thought of a cream-crackering sprint just at the moment

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Come and try the new Oxygen in Richmond, it's a cracker.

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
Come and try the new Oxygen in Richmond, it's a cracker.
Thanks Tim- it was on my list, especially with 50c backing it:) . But I'm a sucker for top quality (as I was with the Kalkhoff) and loved the Alpino I tried.

Is the PCS warranty transferrable to the lucky buyer?

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Owww not a good thing to have happen. Hope you find the new bike to your liking and have loads of fun with it hun.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
I`ll second that Tim
I think Oxygen are likely to do well, with good bikes priced reasonably. Having to swap to a hub motor, I also flirted with the Aurora idea, but Wisper won me over for the mix of happy owners, service and build quality. I liked the Alpino I tried when I was at ETS (to pick up the wife's trike) apart from speed and David has upped the controllers since then.

I'll be seeing if I got that right soon- the Apino will be ready from ETS on Monday :cool:, if I can get time to collect it.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Oh, very nice :D

Another Alpino finds a good home. You are so going to enjoy yourself :)

Vikki.

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
Oh, very nice :D

Another Alpino finds a good home. You are so going to enjoy yourself :)

Vikki.
Thanks Vikki- you're one of the Wisper owners whose enthusiasm persuaded me:) As you said before, it'll be interesting to see the day to day differences between riding the Alpino and the ProConnect. I'll be reporting....

But I'll be sad to lose the PCS:(

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Cycle City UK aka Cambridge
Congratulations, welcome to the club ;)

Thinks to one's self..............is there a trend happening here? :D

Regards,

Mike.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I look forward to your reports, Simon.

David will as well I imagine :D

To paraphrase Spock: "Live long and cycle."

Vikki.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Following on from all this Wisper enthusiasm, I've never bought one 'cos I really need a much bigger 23in frame size. (I think most Wispers are 17in but I could be wrong). I remember David suggesting that the Alpino would be bigger but the frame size isn't mentioned in the specs I've seen. Does anyone happen to know what it is?

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Two things, Simon: I get the occasional back-pain which all of a sudden almost cripples me. It goes, partly as all things go, partly through the ministrations of a brilliant physiotherapist over in Hendon Central. She is magic, and has kept my deteriorating body going for some years. Let me know if you want her details (not NHS, unfortunately).

The other point is this: I am in Kingsbury (just above the Welsh Harp), and now have the Wisper 905 top-of-the-range model, so if you want a go, let me know and I'm sure we can arrange something. (Minor mods to the bike for my plastic leg include one pedal at a different height from the other, but nothing you couldn't cope with for a test ride).

Allen.

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
Two things, Simon: I get the occasional back-pain which all of a sudden almost cripples me. It goes, partly as all things go, partly through the ministrations of a brilliant physiotherapist over in Hendon Central. She is magic, and has kept my deteriorating body going for some years. Let me know if you want her details (not NHS, unfortunately).

The other point is this: I am in Kingsbury (just above the Welsh Harp), and now have the Wisper 905 top-of-the-range model, so if you want a go, let me know and I'm sure we can arrange something. (Minor mods to the bike for my plastic leg include one pedal at a different height from the other, but nothing you couldn't cope with for a test ride).

Allen.
Great info, thanks and may be in touch if the quacks don't sort this. I've got the Alpino on order so will see how I get on with it.

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
Following on from all this Wisper enthusiasm, I've never bought one 'cos I really need a much bigger 23in frame size. (I think most Wispers are 17in but I could be wrong). I remember David suggesting that the Alpino would be bigger but the frame size isn't mentioned in the specs I've seen. Does anyone happen to know what it is?
The Alpino felt pretty big when I tried it and certainly more than a 905. So much so that (having shortish legs) I'm getting mine on trainer size 26" wheels. So maybe worth a try on the full size, though I'm sure david can give you exact sizings/range.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Thanks Simon. Just speculation at the moment - I won't be changing my bike until either my Giant Suede or its battery give up, but I suppose we all like to think about what we might get next. I'll add the Alpino to my list of bikes to look into when the time comes.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
They do all seem very big, don't they. Wispers say you can adjust the handlebars and seat post to suit 'all' sizes, but it must be a problem getting the 905 down to a much smaller size.

How does Vikki get on, I wonder (not knowing how tall/short you are, Vikki, but making the assumption that you're average height).

And as for Kalkhoffs! Sodding enormous things. I nearly did myself an injury on what was supposed to be the frame for 5'10"s, (my plastic leg did add to the problem, but they are Very Big Bikes).

A.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Hi, Allen. I come form a tall family so I clock in at 6'. My dad was 6'4" and mom is 5'10". I manage just fine on a 905. The seat and handlebars are high but not past the max limit mark. :) Mind you, my legs wouldn't be extended enough for unassisted cycling really but for assisted I have no problem.

Vikki.