The Grand Tour

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Has anyone watched The Grand Tour (Clarkeson's new Top Gear type show)? The first episode was released on Friday.

I've seen it and thought it was watchable, so that is one up on Chris Evans and Top Gear. I don't think The Grand Tour is as good as Top Gear when Clarkeson hosted it, but it's early days. They seemed to be trying a little bit too hard to be offensive on the new programme, whereas offensiveness came with effortless ease on old Top Gear.

Any thoughts from people who have seen it?

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I really enjoyed it, it's got all the makings to mature into a great show!.

The chemistry is still there between the three which makes it so much more watchable.

I honestly don't think the BBC will have a rival for it any time soon..

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I hope Amazon keep funding the show. The main reason for commissioning it, is to sign people up to Amazon Prime. Once that has been achieved, the incentive to fund future shows may disappear.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I hope Amazon keep funding the show. The main reason for commissioning it, is to sign people up to Amazon Prime. Once that has been achieved, the incentive to fund future shows may disappear.
It had the opposite effect on me....

The Marmite analogy is very apt for the "boyz".

The year's free postage isn't quite enough compensation. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I had the opposite effect on me....

The Marmite analogy is very apt for the "boyz".

The year's free postage isn't quite enough compensation. :rolleyes:
Yes, I know Clarkeson and Co aren't to everyone's taste.

Big Malky

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2015
However they did a very good job of promoting hybrid cars albeit super cars and by logical extension electric cars and bikes.
Anyone got a hybrid bicycle yet? Maybe a petrol generator in a bike trailer?

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
However they did a very good job of promoting hybrid cars albeit super cars and by logical extension electric cars and bikes.
Anyone got a hybrid bicycle yet? Maybe a petrol generator in a bike trailer?
Now there's an idea !
Get an old powerpack petrol bike and fit an alternator to the 35cc engine.
If it was then fitted with a 15mph max 250cc electric hub motor it would be "almost" legal to drive on UK roads with no tax, license, or insurance.
It may even just scrape in under the weight limit too. :rolleyes:
goddard powerpack.jpg

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Now there's an idea !
Get an old powerpack petrol bike and fit an alternator to the 35cc engine.
If it was then fitted with a 15mph max 250cc electric hub motor it would be "almost" legal to drive on UK roads with no tax, license, or insurance.
It may even just scrape in under the weight limit too. :rolleyes:
View attachment 16515
I would imagine that's classed as a petrol motorcycle. Its only the transmission that's electric.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I would imagine that's classed as a petrol motorcycle. Its only the transmission that's electric.
It's an interesting argument Alan.

Even though it would be even more Heath Robinson, I wonder how it would be if a lightweight battery pack were interposed as well, and the petrol motor only started for charging when the bike was parked ?

(What a monster it would be... :rolleyes:)

Advertisers