The psychology of thieves.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I've just bought a Pragmasis chain (pic of link size below) and a top-end Squire padlock to go with it.

Good idea, etc., to spend money on security, as the police recommend about 15% of a bike's value as a good starting point for buying a chain.

Trouble is, on looking at the chain and my bike together, it screams "This bike is expensive!" at me (and any passing thief).

Sure, it also says "Go away, this is too difficult to steal", but I'm suddenly worried that I'm telling the wrong people that I've got something worth protecting - and of course with a good-quality angle-grinder, even this heavy-weight steel chain could be cut.

Any thoughts?

(Mine is the 13mm chain, bottom left - compare it with the 50p piece in the picture!)

Allen.

chains.jpg

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
About 6 years ago, I sold a bike to a London commuter:

During set-up, he asked me to spray paint the whole bike with matte black paint out of a rattle can. His specific words were to spray everything, not just the frame & leave loads of overspray. As much as I resented doing so (£1800 bike) I learnt something that day..

He walked out with one of our more 'basic' lightweight locks, knowing its a good bike underneath & with peace of mind that it will still be there when he leaves work.

He still has the bike to this day.

Reactions: flecc and EddiePJ

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Interesting, Martin. My new bike is on a fairly expensive 'On one' frame, on which no distinguishing marks are now visible below layers of black duct tape, so a similar principle...

There might be an unused Pragmasis chain going spare at this rate.

A

D

Deleted member 4366

If you watch any of the videos of actual bike thieves, you'll see that they use small tools or the smaller bolt-croppers to cut the locks. Some of the more enterprising ones wait in the gym carpark in their car with bigger tools. When you go in the gym, they jump out, cut the lock and ride the bike away. You only need a lock that can defeat these sort of rapid attacks. A professional bike thief probably wouldn't target you bike because it's unique. It's a different matter if you park your bike in the same spot every day all day, when it's much more likley to be targeted.

As long as you have a lock substantial enough to defeat the casual thief and don't park your bike in the same place all the time, the chance of it being nicked are small. Keep the big lock at home, as it's spoiling your riding experience. As I said before,! I use the Oxford Revolver, which is a nice compromise between strength and convenience.

Here you can see how I carry it.

http://s451.photobucket.com/user/d8veh/media/XD motor/20141213_142218_zps4a668270.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com

During set-up, he asked me to spray paint the whole bike with matte black paint out of a rattle can. His specific words were to spray everything, not just the frame & leave loads of overspray. As much as I resented doing so (£1800 bike) I learnt something that day..

He walked out with one of our more 'basic' lightweight locks, knowing its a good bike underneath & with peace of mind that it will still be there when he leaves work.

The original rat bike. :)

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks for those thoughts, Dave, I shall consider.

Don't find carrying my old Abus Granit a problem - I use Abus 'Ugh' clips on the rear rack, and the couple of kg (of the Granit) don't make much difference (see below).
A

ugh clips.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I understand that this sort of defacing of new bikes is common in The Netherlands where bike theft is also a big problem. Apparently they go even further, hand brushing with paint and subsequently never properly cleaning their new bike, making it look like an old wreck from the outset.

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
If you watch any of the videos of actual bike thieves, you'll see that they use small tools or the smaller bolt-croppers to cut the locks. Some of the more enterprising ones wait in the gym carpark in their car with bigger tools. When you go in the gym, they jump out, cut the lock and ride the bike away. You only need a lock that can defeat these sort of rapid attacks. A professional bike thief probably wouldn't target you bike because it's unique. It's a different matter if you park your bike in the same spot every day all day, when it's much more likley to be targeted.

As long as you have a lock substantial enough to defeat the casual thief and don't park your bike in the same place all the time, the chance of it being nicked are small. Keep the big lock at home, as it's spoiling your riding experience. As I said before,! I use the Oxford Revolver, which is a nice compromise between strength and convenience.

Here you can see how I carry it.

http://s451.photobucket.com/user/d8veh/media/XD motor/20141213_142218_zps4a668270.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
erm, d8veh, do you sell any of those lovely 250w xiongda stickers I couldn't help noticing after the pic of the lock (I need it for s friend who wants to enhance the look of his BPM)

D

Deleted member 4366

erm, d8veh, do you sell any of those lovely 250w xiongda stickers I couldn't help noticing after the pic of the lock (I need it for s friend who wants to enhance the look of his BPM)
I have even better ones now, which are different for MXUS , Xiongda and Bafang. I guess I could spare one. Send me a message (start a conversation) stating the motor, the voltage and your address.

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
My advice to anyone thinking of buying a lock for a bike, would be to look on youtube, lock picking,( A bit of an eye opener) keep away from combination type far to easy to open in seconds , even seen a D lock opened with a pen abus granit,key type came out great along with oxford , and a few u s a brands, one guy even shimmed 5 padlocks in under 5 minutes using a coke can. as d8veh said casual thiefs are the ones you are trying to beat, pros bring tools to beat any lock..:mad:

Reactions: neptune

Advertisers