The Slime tube protectors came today

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
This was for my wifes bike, she got a puncture the other day on the front and it was a small thorn( that`s a big problem around here because the farmers cut the hedges every year)

So! front wheel out, repaired the puncture (used the self adhesive slime patches) superb BTW. Took the first protector from the packet and it rolled up my arm like a python:eek: Left it hanging in the warm and if anything it was worse. The knack is to put just the right amount of air in the tube to hold the protector in place but not that much that you can`t easily push it into place. I reckon the front wheel took around 15 mins inc the puncture repair.BTW once the tyre is on the wheel you can sort of put pressure on the tyre each side and I reckon that would help to centralise the protector.

Now I looked at the back wheel on her bike, no connector in the main cable from the rear wheel and the cable going to the controller was tight as a drum. So I delved into the controller:eek: and managed to get myself a few inches of slack that was just enough to get the cable out of the frame clips. disconnected the rear drum brake and fittings. Split the chain and removed the gears.(you might think that splitting the chain is a bit drastic but when you have limited free play and need to work on the wheel besides the bike it makes so much sense) Hoisted the bike up on my pulley and then got the wife to steady things while I dropped the wheel out. It was much harder getting that protector in place with the wheel connected by the cable but with a fresh cuppa and that extra pair of hands to support the frame and the wheel we did it. Reasembled everything and reconnected the chain and gears. Gingerly pushed what slack I could back into the controller, fitted the battery and Zilch:confused: I had accidently pulled one of the main power cable connections off in the controller ( I thought the Alien controller was tight on space in the controller housing till I saw this one)
Anyway, a few added cable ties and she is back to square one with both tyres protected. Will those protectors do the trick I wonder?
They are made from a very tough clear plastic with a slight green tinge, the sort of soft flexible plastic like Argos use in there store catalogues but thicker and certainly not the sort that you could tear with your hands. I reckon it will see off thorns and maybe flint but if you caught a tack or nail wrong then I`m not sure. What ever! it`s another string to my bow.
Now tomorrow, it`s a bash at tightening some loose spokes and attempting to true up the rear wheel in the Folder:eek:
A decent sized shed with good light and heat is almost a must.