The sting in the tail

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
A nice bright morning, so me thinks I`ll get out early before all the millions of flies wake up.
Lovely ride, no wind, temp around 20c and then it happened. A bee or a wasp flew into my left ear and the bugger stung me bad. I knocked my specs down my face and whilst trying to get the thing out of my ear I hit gravel in the centre of the road:eek: (at around 25mph going down hill) well! I reckon if you had been watching me you would have had a good laugh, it must have looked funny but I managed to keep from actually falling off the bike(don`t know how) pity I didn`t have the video going. Landed up with a few scratches on my leg where my foot came off of the pedal. Now I have had one hell of a pain in the ear and side of my face(which is obviously swollen) all day.
In the morning we head down south to the Christening of my latest grand son(Alfie) where my ex wife will be in attendance, I haven`t seen her for 10 years and wanted to look at my best and could do without looking like I have the mother of all tooth aches where my face is swollen:D

One good thing, if ever there was something to test my heart out then this was it:)

Nurse!! I need that blanket bath now please:D

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Glad to hear you survived your excursion without to much damage, but damn that had to have smarted, pesky bleeders those stinging things. Good job you aren't allergic to them.

Have a good time at the christening hun.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Ouch! Ouch-ouch-ouch!

Good to hear you're ok :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
could have been worse if stung in mouth/throat ......You can die from anaphylactic shock

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
A big bumble bee dinged off my bottom lip riding at speed about an hour ago... very close to inhaling the thing and having a real problem. Phew. Sorry to hear you were actually stung, well done for keeping just about in control.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
That makes me glad I use in-ear earphones when I'm buzzing along the cycleway along the A27. Lots of flying critters down there and I have heard the odd one ping off my ear-buds in the past.

Vikki.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
My sympathies, pesky little blighter's are a major pain and largely go unmentioned until an incident like this is aired in public. Then you find out that almost everyone has at some stage had similar experiences.
Flying things - mainly bugs, (but I have been clouted off my bike twice by pheasants flying out of hedges...) are my biggest local hazard. I get substantial wallops from flying insects of all types on absolutely every trip I do at this time of year. The number of times bees, wasps, horseflies etc have bounced off my glasses or slapped me in the face means that I NEVER cycle without wearing eye protection and make it a habit to keep my mouth shut as much as possible. I could probably live on the number of bugs I used to swallow (or worse, inhale). This time of year is very bad for it. Personally I place eye protection (and for that matter gloves) much higher up my list of important personal protection than helmets (OK, pretend I didn't say that, we won't bring that one up again :eek: ).

Phil

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Not a mention about the poor wasp. There it was going about its totally legitimate business when it is attacked by a high speed ear. That sort of thing would terrify me, so no wonder the innocent little creature lashed out.
I trust it did not come to any harm by the wild antics of the rider sliding about in the gravel, which was no doubt being thrown everywhere. To a wasp that had just escaped an assault by an ear, being hit by a piece of gravel would be like the owner of the said ear being hit by a medium sized boulder.
Think on that Old Timer - and I suggest you now return to the spot where you perpetrated this dastardly deed, find the wasp and see if it needs any counselling after its traumatic experience.

Colin

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Personally I place eye protection (and for that matter gloves) much higher up my list of important personal protection than helmets (OK, pretend I didn't say that, we won't bring that one up again :eek: ).

Phil

Yes, I completely agree about eye protection. Never worn cycling gloves though.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Sounds like you could do with a pair of Slipstreamz. They're invaluable in winter but it would seem they have a useful purpose in summer too!

andrewgardner

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2009
A few summers ago myself and the brother in law went for a run on motor bikes round the Lake district,. Lovely hot day it was, anyway we stoped of for some petrol and i put my helmet on the pump while i filled up, put the helmet back on again and set off only to find a wasp was in the helmet, I had visions of it stinging my eye. Slammed the brakes on dropped the bike on a grass verge and ripped my helmet of double quick. Brother in law parked up and ran over and asked me if I had slipped on some sheep ****. I think he is still laughing now, I was lucky it never stung me but you have my simpathy.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Yes, I completely agree about eye protection. Never worn cycling gloves though.
Hit a cat, or similar, incorrectly on a gravelly road, come off the bike and the chanced are you will go down the road on your hands, knees and toes. Toes - no problem if you are wearing decent shoes. Knees - painful if wearing shorts, but can be bandaged without to much inconvenience. Hands - take the skin off the palms of your hands on the gravel, embedding pieces of gravel as you go. Spend a week or more with your hands bandaged up, unable to ride, hold a knife and fork properly, etc.
I had that experience doing about 25mph going down a hill in Dorking in 1959. Ten days later when I could resume cycling I was wearing string backed, fingerless track mitts
About five years later I was taking part in a time trial in Hampshire, travelling at 30mph plus, when I hit a patch of oil, came off and ripped the skin off my knees and elbows, but thanks to my fingerless cycling gloves my hands were fine. I was able to remount and carry on. The gloves were badly damaged, but I had a spare pair at home - easier to replace gloves than the skin off your hands.

Colin

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
We had a convertible years ago and while down in Dorset a bee went down my back and stung me...not very pleasant

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Sounds like you could do with a pair of Slipstreamz. They're invaluable in winter but it would seem they have a useful purpose in summer too!
They look like a good idea but do they really work and how awkward are they to wear?

I'll always use fingerless gloves as I know how painful gravel rash is, although it looks kinda cool when you ride into work with a ripped and bloodied shirt.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Not a mention about the poor wasp. There it was going about its totally legitimate business when it is attacked by a high speed ear. That sort of thing would terrify me, so no wonder the innocent little creature lashed out.
I trust it did not come to any harm by the wild antics of the rider sliding about in the gravel, which was no doubt being thrown everywhere. To a wasp that had just escaped an assault by an ear, being hit by a piece of gravel would be like the owner of the said ear being hit by a medium sized boulder.
Think on that Old Timer - and I suggest you now return to the spot where you perpetrated this dastardly deed, find the wasp and see if it needs any counselling after its traumatic experience.

Colin
Being an animal lover, I did return to the scene and wo and behold I find the little creature lying on the side of the road, hardly moving and gasping for air and a drink and I soon put that right. With the bottom of my boot:D :D

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Not sure that would have made any difference really.

I wear specs but after that little episode (and the general everyday bombardment of millions of flies where I live) I need to look around for something to act as a fly screen. It really does take away my enjoyment of riding at times having hundreds of flies stuck to my face.

Any Ideas anyone???

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Being an animal lover, I did return to the scene and wo and behold I find the little creature lying on the side of the road, hardly moving and gasping for air and a drink and I soon put that right. With the bottom of my boot:D :D
Although, quite naturally I cannot condone your actions, I have to admit that revenge can be so, so sweet. :D

Colin

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Not sure that would have made any difference really.

I wear specs but after that little episode (and the general everyday bombardment of millions of flies where I live) I need to look around for something to act as a fly screen. It really does take away my enjoyment of riding at times having hundreds of flies stuck to my face.

Any Ideas anyone???
This would suit your purposes hun a bee keepers veil I'm sure over your helmet it would look very fetching :D

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
This would suit your purposes hun a bee keepers veil I'm sure over your helmet it would look very fetching :D

A lot of people have suggested I wear one of them. However, they say to wear it all the time thus hiding my allegedly ugly face.:(

Colin