The usual questions.... again!!!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Regarding a 24v controller with specs: Max 14A, Rated 7A
When drawing a load from it, does the max rating mean that it will allow no more than 14 amps and will not go over this?
Or that the controller is likely to be damaged run continuously over 14 amps but it will provide brief periods over the max?

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Regarding a 24v controller with specs: Max 14A, Rated 7A
When drawing a load from it, does the max rating mean that it will allow no more than 14 amps and will not go over this?
Yes

Or that the controller is likely to be damaged run continuously over 14 amps but it will provide brief periods over the max?
It shouldn't exceed 14amps but as can be seen on the forum and with my own controllers, quite often the specs don't match the reality. The 7amp is the continious rating, the 14 is the peak. Running at the peak for a long period of time will overheat the controller, if there's no thermal protection it will fail at some point unless you can ensure good ventilation to keep it nice and cool.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The reason i asked is that i reckon my bike has a fairly modest 200w motor on it. Even with peak wattage it probably sits comfortably within a safe working tolerance for the controller.
I did toy with the idea of changing the rear hub motor for a 500w one, but calculated that it would be drawing 20 amps from the controller. So the controller would get fried pretty quicky :(
If i had to upgrade the controller as well, then it would be cost effective in the long run to change everything to 36v. At 24v and 500 watts it looks to be quite harsh on a battery.