Wootton nr Oxford
Reviewer: Adam Gillett (gillettadam)

Purchased From: Friend

Purchase Price: £0

Time Owned: 1 Month

Local Terrain: Moderate Hills

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:
The bike pulls well from a standing start, and the assistance is about right. The built in lights and indicators are handy, as is the kickstand, and the smallish cupboard in the downtube. The spares depatment at Thompson are very helpful, and the throttle mode is very good, reaching a speed of about 13 mph on the flat. It is well thought out, and the factory pannier rack looks fairly strong, and is definitely very large (enough for 3 12V 12Ah mobility scooter batteries) I have used this bike with a friend, and it was easily pulling away from him with only half a battery left on a long shallow hill. The motor cable is protected by some metal brackets in the event of a fall

Weaknesses:
The bike is heavy, though in comparison to other electric bikes I'm not sure. The battery on mine only lasts about 6-7 miles before it gets worryingly low , though it was second hand I hasten to add, and a new 12Ah (not factory) battery lasted at full throttle for a good 10 miles with still half a charge remaining. It is very difficult to pedal without any assistance should you become left in the lurch, I manage about 2.5 - 3 miles flat/ slightly downhill before I have to turn the power on. The Bike is covered in plastic which is fairly vulnerable in a fall. In the event of the rear brakes becoming faulty I would be a bit worried as it is a special band brake, and unless thompson stock them I doubt they'd be easily obtainable. The horn (which hopefully no one will need) is very weedy and I would doubt anyone in an enclosed vehicle would be able to hear it

Summary:
My bike is a second hand one, and was given to me because it had been in a fairly nasty accident. The pedal sprocket was very bent, and the front fairing was smashed on one side. The motor cables had also been ripped where the axle was loose and the motor had been used. This puts me in a position to comment on this bike to work on, and it is fairly easy. I am very pleased with it, especially after creating a secondary 12Ah battery for it. The spares I required were easy to obtain, and the pannier rack is perfect for storing three 12 volt 12 ah batteries, and the factory one fits behind the seat very neatly (although this is putting a lot of strain on the rear wheel and I don't advise you make a habit of it, if you do choose to have a secondary battery. It is very good on the hills, and on the flat it cruises very nicely. I am 16 years old and would definately recommend it, no it isn't stylish, no it isn't hugely fast, but it's amazing fun, and it lets you cycle where you otherwise would be reluctant to. I live 3 miles form my main town, with a fair hill to climb on the way home and never used to cycle, today I cycled just for the fun of it.

Overall Rating (out of 10) :

8/10. It is heavy, and has some aesthetic issues, but it has enough power, and range
(10 miles full throttle and used half of the battery) with my new 12Ah battery and is practial enough for most purposes.