Three forum members, one ride.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Today was when the Wiggle purbeck hill a saurus 2014 took place, and is was really great to have two other forum members also taking part in the ride. The word is finally spreading. :)

This is just a thread starter, and hopefully WilliamTell and SRS will be along at some stage to add their thoughts about the event. I'll have to wait until the start of the week to add anything of my own.

SRS, it was pleasure to meet you today, and to ride along with you for the duration. Apologise to WT, for someone getting separated at the second feed station point. How did the battery hold out for you?

SRS, the neck pain disappeared, but changed instead to major back pain whilst driving home. I foresee a trip to the chiropractor this week. :(

Here is the route.

Annoyingly, the camera lens was steamed up, so photos are limited, but hopefully the official ones, and those taken by WT will be better.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
SRS, you recall me saying that I wasn't going to clean the bike until tomorrow. I lied, and it's already spotless again. :D I remember leaving a bike dirty overnight once before. It's surprising how fast that rust appears on the chain etc, and the dirt is seemingly ten times worse to remove.

Reactions: 103Alex1

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Eddie, it was a great ride. Nice to meet you and good to ride together.

With regard to cleaning, I am not surprised. You can sleep well knowing rust is kept at bay.

I'll add something about the ride when I get back home in a couple of days.
Glad your necks ok, bit of luck you back will be better in the morning.

Good day had by all, catch u later. Cheers SRS

Reactions: TinKitten

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Beautiful photos Eddie, it looks like a great ride! And so cool that three Pedelec members were able to meet up. Perhaps one day I'll get on one of these too. :)

Hey Eddie, how come in WilliamTell's photo on the other thread, your bike is much muddier than SRS's. It must be attracted to you like a magnet! :p

Reactions: EddiePJ

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think you are a pair of rotters dropping Will like that.

Actually, it's surprisingly easy to lose touch with a buddy on a group ride.

I've done it a few times.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I lost touch with SRS for a while as well. :oops:

There was one section where both myself and William had to carry our bikes due to the depth of water. Neither of us were daft enough to want to risk our motors, and somehow we split up. I thought that SRS was behind when I set off, but he was actually out in front. Odd what you can miss, and looking back, I don't even recall seeing WT and his friend cross the water section. It only takes the distraction of talking to someone else along the way, and before you know it, you have suddenly lost contact.

WT, if you happen to read this, did you both stop at the second feed station?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Looks fantastic Guys!
One of our guys was riding the Real Ale Wobble too this weekend in Wales. Plenty of eBike action!! Mud Mud Mud!

Pity he didn't take a pic of the bike after the ride.

Reactions: Croxden

William Tell

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 16, 2014
London
Great write-up Eddie!

Didn't realize you had posted here, I did mine under:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-people-are-using-there-e-bike-off-road.15780/page-17#post-242397

It was a pleasure meeting up with you guys, and riding along for most of the ride. I remember crossing the deep water section together, and you shortly thereafter trying to catch up with SRS before the 2nd water-stop.

We skipped the 2nd stop, it's probably where we lost each other. As I've said before I don't think I'm quite up to your pace as yet, and mixing it up with non-pedelecs does make it even more of a challenge to ride at a pace that suits everyone. So all good!

My fitness is improving fast, so I should be in a position to give it an all-out blast come spring, if you're keen we can do a ride together to actually see how fast we could really go?

Really impressed by your total range that you managed to eke out!
On a road with suitable tyres you should easily be able to do 60-80 miles.

Have a good week!

Reactions: TinKitten

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
WT, in relation to speed, I already know that I can nail a fast time on an e-mtb.
Wiggle rides attract faster riders than the Evans rides, but even so, the summer ride that I did with Evans was 29 miles long and the battery on the BH had died after 12 miles, which left me 17 miles to pedal with no battery. Over that 12 miles, I had got far enough ahead, that only two people got past me, and my time was third fastest of the day, out of 274 riders that had completed the same route.

For me, racing to the finish is missing the whole point of an orgainised fun ride. With two batteries and using turbo, I would be back at home having a shower before the next rider finishes. The challenge for me, is completing all rides on one battery, and to try to finish with plenty in reserve. The motor is simply there to assist me when I need the extra push. Riding assisted the whole time, would spoil the fun and mental/physical challenge. :) It would also kill the social interaction element of the rides, which would be a big shame.

I'm happy to use more assist and higher power settings when out on my own playing, just not at these events.

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
SRS, skip to 3.45 into this video. Does it look familiar? We must have been seconds after this rider. I'm still having issues with my neck and back, and have been off work for the last two days because of it.

Hi Eddie

Yes, how can I forget. Chalk boulders everywhere. The video makes it look pretty tame. We know otherwise. Bucking bronco springs to mind and I am sure many came a cropper.

Great video. Sorry to hear the necks still bad, hopefully it eases soon but get it seen to if it persists.
Still I think I can say we all had a great time and speaking for myself, I'd do it again.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm off to get the back sorted tomorrow. :)

I must admit the clip shown didn't show that section for what it was at all. Mainly badly signed! It didn't show the speed either. :D

I've booked onto the next Wiggle ride on the 7th Dec at Fontwell. I'm supposed to be riding it with the group of KTM riders that I completed the Biggin Hill ride with. You would be more than welcome to join us. :)

Failing that, we'll have to get together sometime over the next month or so for a ride on the Downs. I was aiming to get down there this coming Saturday, but I think that the back issue is going to ruin that idea. I haven't been out for over a week now, and it's really starting to get to me. I can't stand not being out on the bike.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I'm off to get the back sorted tomorrow. :)

I must admit the clip shown didn't show that section for what it was at all. Mainly badly signed! It didn't show the speed either. :D

I've booked onto the next Wiggle ride on the 7th Dec at Fontwell. I'm supposed to be riding it with the group of KTM riders that I completed the Biggin Hill ride with. You would be more than welcome to join us. :)

Failing that, we'll have to get together sometime over the next month or so for a ride on the Downs. I was aiming to get down there this coming Saturday, but I think that the back issue is going to ruin that idea. I haven't been out for over a week now, and it's really starting to get to me. I can't stand not being out on the bike.
Getting a bit twitchy eh?

I have been considering the Fontwell ride, not sure if I can make it yet. Thanks for the offer, shall let you know if I sign up.

If you feel up to and fancy coming down this way on Saturday, i'll be up for a ride. I need swap to some mud tyres on the Haibike 20 min job.

Alternatively, as you say we can meet up another time.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Twitchy is a bit of an understatement. :)

Bad back or not, I need to get out.

Subject to my back being okay, where would you like to meet up, and what sort of time? I've broken the screen on two mobile phones this week, and frustratingly don't now have use of a mobile phone, so you will have contact me via the forum. :)

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Twitchy is a bit of an understatement. :)

Bad back or not, I need to get out.

Subject to my back being okay, where would you like to meet up, and what sort of time? I've broken the screen on two mobile phones this week, and frustratingly don't now have use of a mobile phone, so you will have contact me via the forum. :)
You could come down to Brighton where I live, got excellent circular rides from here. Or we could meet up at Devils Dyke, ride east or west. Or somewhere like Plumpton, Ditchling, Steyning.

Dont mind as long as parking is not an issue. Timewise, mid morning. Give me time to swap tyres etc.

Advertisers