Help! Throttle not working on Samebike LO26 (Error Message E 08)

merlin-wonder

Just Joined
Nov 3, 2021
South Wales
Hello!

Really need some urgent help. I bought a Samebike LO26 just over a year ago from GearBest and have been very happy with my acquisition. Everything was working well until approx. 3 weeks ago when an error message (E 08) appeared on the screen and the throttle stopped working.

For some reason the plastic had cracked underneath the throttle and was slowly disintegrating. I contacted Samebike for some advice on what to do but unfortunately they they were not very helpful when responding and did not answer my queries. One of the 3 pins inside the yellow/black connector subsequently broke (this was my fault) so at that point I decided to try and source another throttle. I found what looked to be an identical model on Amazon and bought it thinking that it would solve the issue and remove the E 08 error code. I was wrong as the error code did not disappear and the new throttle had no effect at all.

Some useful info - the motor still works as I can put it into the 6km walking mode. The motor also kicks in when I am pedalling - I just can't use the throttle.

I now don't know what to do. Most cycle places in the area I live won't even look at the bike as they say they are not covered in terms of insurance to carry out repairs on it.

Is there a cheap way of fixing it myself or would I need to change the controller and display unit? Are there any service centres in the UK that will work on a Samebike?

Would truly appreciate any advice - it will be gratefully received.

Kind regards

merlin-wonder

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If it is a a three wire connection then any throttle with three wires should work, one has to make sure the wire sequence is correct so tell us the wire colours on both sides to see if you have them connected correctly.

E08 is simply throttle error, so wire issue, hall sensor or a 5v issue.

Fault finding is dead easy, but if your original is cracked broken then a replacement should work, as above show us how you have connected wires up colour to colour.

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk

merlin-wonder

Just Joined
Nov 3, 2021
South Wales
Dear All

Many thanks for the helpful replies - apologies for the delay in providing updates regarding the throttle problem.

@Nealh I am enclosing 2 x images - one with the original configuration of the throttle containing 3 wires (I put a heat sleeve with some additional wire where the socket is but you should be able to make out the colours) and the other is where I cut the new throttle wire. I have tried all combinations of the 3 x different wires but nothing works.

Image 'A' is the original throttle. Additional wire and heat sleeve was added to the socket part (see below)

Image 'B' (see below) is the replacement throttle I bought from Amazon. I tried all wire sequence combinations but none of them resulted in the throttle working (unfortunately!).

Where is the hall sensor stored and how can I check whether this working? Also, would I need a voltage meter to check whether there is 5v output from the controller? Am assuming I would put this on the cable linking the throttle to the controller, right?

Just curious - is this run-of-the-mill stuff for an electrician to check as I am beginning to wonder whether I am out of my depth here and would need someone more proficient to check this.

Finally, would you advise ordering another throttle from Mark4shop (original Samebike LO26) or would it be better to get an electrician to check the things you suggested?

@cyclebuddy Thank you for your advice - pity there isn't a service centre in Wales or the South West. Do you have the address in East London for the store? I often go to London so it would be useful to have their address.

Finally, I really appreciate the feedback and good suggestions.

merlin-wonder

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The wire sequence in the pic is correct, however if you used that solder link they would short out. Each wire has to be individually soldered together and and shrink wrapped.
Are the yellow w/p connectors the same brand ?
Check the embossed writing on them are they both julet or is one of them a higo ?

The three wire throttles are generic and only carry 5v, gnd and a 1v signal so if it isn't working something the the fault/issue will be something basic overlooked.

You will need to do the checks yourself but if all of the connectors form the controller are waterproof type then you won't be able to diagnose anything, I would be able to as I know how to and have made up a small special lead to carry out the testing.