To go tubeless or not to go tubeless.

motomech

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 19, 2016
Tucson Az.
I've been doing DIY (ghetto) tubeless for a while now and it does pretty well for the dreaded Goat's Head thorns that are everywhere here in the desert, but my tires occasionlly get impailed by larger objects like cactus spines. And using a car type plug kit feels like removing a splinter from my finger with a machete. I recently ran across this little item and while I haven't had to use it yet, I'm carrying it;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BYKGTC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I've been doing DIY (ghetto) tubeless for a while now and it does pretty well for the dreaded Goat's Head thorns that are everywhere here in the desert, but my tires occasionlly get impailed by larger objects like cactus spines. And using a car type plug kit feels like removing a splinter from my finger with a machete. I recently ran across this little item and while I haven't had to use it yet, I'm carrying it;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BYKGTC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Available in the UK. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00V8AH40U/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00B7FC4DI&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=ZJ0GMB483VA61QX5FMAK

Mortlake

Dec 14, 2015
Surrey
The Weldtite tubeless repair kit works well, fixed a small flint cut with ease, but I must keep an eye on the glue now that its been opened.

• Informative
Reactions: EddiePJ

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Problem being you can carry more and more kit that you may or may not need. I already carry in my pack a couple of pieces of this flexible plastic and a spare inner tube. Hopefully that shoud rectify bigger holes AND ripped sidewalls.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My clinchers are Exal rims with spoke holes can I use tubeless rim tape to seal the spoke holes and a separate tubeless valve to go tubeless or do I have to use rubber liner with incorporated valve. Have been looking at Caffelatex rim tape and sealant with No flat Joes Schrader valves, would still want to carry spare tubes as back up.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yes as thats all what is in the kits anyway just need tl tyres.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Currently running schwalbe sam tyres with extra protection, so little heavier but worth it. tubeless for last few years, but rely more on a very puncture resistant tyre. weldtite good but once tyre has a big enough gash, its time to change asap.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Was thinking of trying tube less set up for the Autumn/winter have a Schwalbe Black Shark (F) and a Maxxis Medusa (R), though not tubeless specific user reviews have have had no issues running them this way.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just put in a bit extra sealant then and you should get it to seal up my front is tl ready and its a pita anyway.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Noticed that most tubeless is set up for Presta which is trad ionally used for road set ups, very few Schrader TL products out there which as always been mtb territory in the main. Though I guess this is lead by the continentals like Scwalbe and Hutchinson.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i just have a normal foot pump and use an adaptor for it, worst case is go down the garage and use the air comp in blown tyre mode but got a small 12v one now.

motomech

Feb 19, 2016
Tucson Az.
Just a last comment on tube vs. tubeless;
First off, I do not like "Slimed" tubes and liners, which have caused me more problems than they solved.
So, I prefer, in this order;
1)The "kevlar" tires like the Schwalbe Marathon, etc., WHEN they fit my needs(size).
BUT, my current street Ebike uses 24" X 2.4" tires and the only thing avail. in that size are BMX tires like the Hookworm, CST's and Holy Rollers. Great tires, but thin. So...
2)These I run tubeless. Not sure yet if I will actually get fewer flats running tubeless, but I have had enough to know I can fix 90% along side the roadway in 5 minutes and there is a lot to be said for that.
3)Off road, I worry a bit about knocking a tubeless off the bead, so I run HD motorcycle type tires like these;
https://www.bikebling.com/Kenda-Nevegal-DH-Stick-E-24-x2-5-p/kenda-nevegal-dh-24sticke.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjwuo--BRDDws3x65LL7h8SJABEDuFRNNClUKWNJtttpBZxe07TaVZbPKDGKk6WaPeXVpVJLBoC6lbw_wcB&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc_feed&utm_campaign=comparison_shopping_feeds
...w/ HD tubes.
I haven't had a flat w/ these tires, but my tubes use a threaded Schrader valves which I lock down and if I get a flat, the plan is to force some sealant into the tube, inflate and possibly make it back to the truck. If the tube won't hold it, the rim is sealed and if Ifind and plug the hole in the tire, maybe I can force enough sealant thru the tube and seal the tire tempoarily. Well, that's the plan anyhow.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I tried to go TL this week but wasn't able to get the tyres to seat at all using a track pump :mad:, put the tubes back in for now. Today had a pinch puncture following a quick rutted/flinty decent having reduced psi for todays ride:(, so will have a rethink and may have to try ghetto. My rims aren't shallow so quite a gap for the tyres to seat up against the rim, other wise its going to be pricey to get ready rims and tyres etc.

Mortlake

Dec 14, 2015
Surrey
I tried to go TL this week but wasn't able to get the tyres to seat at all using a track pump :mad:, put the tubes back in for now. Today had a pinch puncture following a quick rutted/flinty decent having reduced psi for todays ride:(, so will have a rethink and may have to try ghetto. My rims aren't shallow so quite a gap for the tyres to seat up against the rim, other wise its going to be pricey to get ready rims and tyres etc.
Now that you have got the rims taped, lube one tyre bead with sealing liquid and over inflate using the tube, this should securely bed that bead, deflate carefully and pop the other bead to remove the tube and insert the valve, with one bead seated it should make life a little easier, access to a compressor makes it a breeze.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i bought a cheap compressor of ebay as my front was a pita to get sealed even tho the rim and tyre is tl ready, not even the blown tyre mode could get it up at the garage.

i just left it for 20 odd mins then managed to get it up with a foot pump as had a bit off time to go off round the bead.

my rear tyre went up first time even with no sealent in it but took an hour to get it on the rim lol.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-co2-tyre-inflator-set-with-2-cartridges/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360510046&kpid=5360510046&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Accessories&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|smHBj6iVG_dc|pcrid|67090840622|pkw||pmt||prd|5360510046uk

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Now that you have got the rims taped, lube one tyre bead with sealing liquid and over inflate using the tube, this should securely bed that bead, deflate carefully and pop the other bead to remove the tube and insert the valve, with one bead seated it should make life a little easier, access to a compressor makes it a breeze.
Thanks for the tip will give it a try, may have to add some more rim tape first though as not confident tyre will stay on the rim during use if it burps. As I have the proper rim tape on may use the Gorilla/ghetto to add extra on top.

Related Articles

Advertisers