Tongsheng TSDZ2 (or installation?) fault?

jewels

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2020
Thanks vfr400

Thank you for your help and advice, I chose to rectify by buying another.! I’m pretty wedded to this motor, the ride, simplicity and hacks make it (almost) ideal.

So, I have No2 here and thinking that I’ll put it together (on the bench) and make sure it all works before swapping No2’s controller onto No1 OR might this short/damage No2 controller.?

Thanks in advance

BenY

Just Joined
Sep 6, 2020
Hi all,

I'm having the same problem on a newly installed 36v tsdz2 coaster variant, except the motor hasn't kicked in at all, it's just dead since installation (checking it before mounting would have saved a lot of heartache I know. Lesson learned!)

Like Jewels, my vlcd5 display shows only 1 bar of battery despite it being fully charged. Nothing registered on display by moving the magnet over the speed sensor. I've checked the battery with a multimeter - it's 41.5V at the terminals, before and after the battery/motor soldered cable connection, AND at the battery voltage pin coming from the motor on the way to the display (thanks for needle tip vfr400!).

Jewels - I found a guide to the correct battery pin location here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Wire-860C-850C-to-TSDZ2

So the display, in terms of the current flowing to it, is getting the full wack of battery power by the looks of things, but it's not showing as much, and the motor is still dead...

Do I have a faulty display? Or perhaps it's a deeper problem with corrupted ECU firmware or something? I'd be grateful for any further advice on practical steps to take before I go and order a new unit.

Ben

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi all,

I'm having the same problem on a newly installed 36v tsdz2 coaster variant, except the motor hasn't kicked in at all, it's just dead since installation (checking it before mounting would have saved a lot of heartache I know. Lesson learned!)

Like Jewels, my vlcd5 display shows only 1 bar of battery despite it being fully charged. Nothing registered on display by moving the magnet over the speed sensor. I've checked the battery with a multimeter - it's 41.5V at the terminals, before and after the battery/motor soldered cable connection, AND at the battery voltage pin coming from the motor on the way to the display (thanks for needle tip vfr400!).

Jewels - I found a guide to the correct battery pin location here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Wire-860C-850C-to-TSDZ2

So the display, in terms of the current flowing to it, is getting the full wack of battery power by the looks of things, but it's not showing as much, and the motor is still dead...

Do I have a faulty display? Or perhaps it's a deeper problem with corrupted ECU firmware or something? I'd be grateful for any further advice on practical steps to take before I go and order a new unit.

Ben
The previous guys problem, detailed in another thread, was caused by a detached comms wire in the LCD, so maybe you get that one bar display when there are no comms between the display and controller. That means a broken wire, bad connection or possibly a faulty controller or LCD.

BenY

Just Joined
Sep 6, 2020
The previous guys problem, detailed in another thread, was caused by a detached comms wire in the LCD, so maybe you get that one bar display when there are no comms between the display and controller. That means a broken wire, bad connection or possibly a faulty controller or LCD.
Oh, sounds interesting, I'll see if I can find that thread. So there was literally a loose wire in their display? I can see my vlcd5 just has 4 cross head screws holding it together. So I might open it up to take a look... thanks!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Oh, sounds interesting, I'll see if I can find that thread. So there was literally a loose wire in their display? I can see my vlcd5 just has 4 cross head screws holding it together. So I might open it up to take a look... thanks!

jewels

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2020
Hi all,

Ben
Hi Ben, I knew I’d buy another of these and glad I did, I’ll try and waterproof the new one for when (not if) something failed.
I checked everything worked before swapping elements with the old motor and it was the sensor that had failed.! Now the screen shows battery level, speed etc.!!
I’m going to try and return the faulty part.

good luck, J

Related Articles

Advertisers