Total loss of power on steeper climbs

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
I've had my BH Emotion Neo Cross for 2 years now and it's proved to be a brilliant bike. However, recently I've had problems with the Display shutting off when going up steeper climbs. It happens w/o warning. I stop, switch it back on and a few metres later it does the same. The connections on the display are fine. Any ideas?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It sounds suspiciously like the battery may be failing Taff, that sort of cutout only on steep climbs is typical of that.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Gosh. Not considered that at all.
I'm going out for a ride tomorrow to see if it does the same again.
Scary.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Went out today for 24 miles. Covered one of the same hills as before and one different at 16%. No problems at all today... puzzling.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's more like suspect connections then, possibly the battery connections not always making a secure connection, though other connection failures are possibly the cause.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Taff I have found a bit of petroleum jell on battery terminals/connections help to stop corrosion make a better connection and keep water out of electrics.
Its also worth doing this on any connector on the bike.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
I wondered about the 'connections' myself. I'll go for another similar run ASAP and see what's what.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
If the battery is the slide in docking type, then just make sure that the contacts are clean and free from oxidation. Rubbing with fine emery paper, then a quick blast with some contact spray should do the trick.

I'm no expert, but I would have thought that putting petroleum jelly on the battery contacts, would increase electrical resistance at the point of contact.
This could create a problem, when your controller wants to draw maximum amps from the battery.

Last edited: