Total novice

Cosmickate

Just Joined
Apr 23, 2016
Hi, I have just bought a cyclotricity Sahara. A gift to myself after getting the all clear after breast cancer. I need to get fit but have little energy so bought this. My problem is that it came with absolutely no instructions.Perhaps buying online wasn't the best idea!! As a woman of 50 who hasn't ridden for 30 odd years, I'm feeling rather stupid. It has 6 gears on a lever with a button . Shimano derailleur. I have no idea how to change gear. I have ridden it twice and managed to have the chain come off trying to change gear. I don't know if the button works like a clutch or if it's lever down and button up. Sorry to ask such a question but if you don't know you don't know. I am wondering if the gears are faulty but need to make sure it's not just me before getting in touch with the shop. Any advice on basic maintenance would be appreciated too.
Thanks , Kate

Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
sounds like the bikes rear dérailleur has not been set up right if at all b4 it was delivered to you thus why the chain flys off when trying to change gear up or down.

id take it to a local bike shop and should sort it in 10 mins ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

The gears will only change when you're pedalling. If you're stuck in too high a gear, use the throttle to start the bike going, then pedal gently while you push the lever round to lower the gear and get to a comfortable pedal speed. The button changes to a higher gear (lower pedal speed). Each time you press it, it'll jump one gear, but, again, only when you're pedalling.

Cosmickate

Just Joined
Apr 23, 2016
The gears will only change when you're pedalling. If you're stuck in too high a gear, use the throttle to start the bike going, then pedal gently while you push the lever round to lower the gear and get to a comfortable pedal speed. The button changes to a higher gear (lower pedal speed). Each time you press it, it'll jump one gear, but, again, only when you're pedalling.
Thanks but my bike doesn't have a throttle, the motor only kicks in when I pedal.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its optional if you had a throttle fitted or not.

Cosmickate

Just Joined
Apr 23, 2016
sounds like the bikes rear dérailleur has not been set up right if at all b4 it was delivered to you thus why the chain flys off when trying to change gear up or down.

id take it to a local bike shop and should sort it in 10 mins ;)
Thank you, I think I'll have to.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks but my bike doesn't have a throttle, the motor only kicks in when I pedal.
In that case you have to remember to change to a lower gear every time before you stop or you won't be able to get going again.