Tour de France.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
Absolutely. Love the Tour. Always watch it on Eurosport and love the commentary team. The problems with Floyd Landis have tarnished it a bit but I'm still eager to watch.

Used to train with some club cyclists who were single-minded to the point of obsession about Time Trials. A fit bunch of complete lunatics who could eat for England! Ah youth!:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I always follow it, but have never personally been involved in cycle clubs or competition, always just a utility and leisure rider.

It's great that London has done such a good job of organising yesterday and today, and a blessing the weather has been kind for three days.

FatPete

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 26, 2007
London
Back in the 70's I was a member of Ealing Harriers cycle club. On weekends we would ride down to the coast, take in refurbishments, and ride back. Brooks saddles rule. After stopping at 'the Bull' a pub in Barnes (please breathe in I want to take a sip of my pint) we rode home.
These guys are for real and have my utmost respect. 30 years on when I get out my Evans lightweight and go to work on it, no one comes past me. I know enough to realise just how good the guys are. Respect due.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
French Farce, Anyone?

Tour appears to have descended into farce, again! The pre-race hype was that this was going to be a clean tour! I have been impressed with the climbing in the French Alps and Pyrenees. Some roads so steep that even the Q Bike might struggle.:D

BigBob

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2007
Swansea
Even though I've only recently come to cycling after a 40 year lay off, I've always been fascinated by road-racing and have been an avid viewer of le Tour ever since it's been shown on TV.

A few years back I went to see The Tour of Britain I think it was called when it came to my home town of Swansea.

Those guys really earned my respect by cycling up a local landmark, Constitution Hill. I don't know how steep it is but would guess about 1 in 4 and cobble-stoned the whole of its half a mile or so. When I was a youngster it was *THE* place to test any car you were thinking of buying.

I was stood about 100 yards up and it was 'interesting' to see the riders faces as they turned a blind corner and saw this monster in front of them :eek:

It's a shame that this year's Tour has degenerated into a drug sham - the battles over the last few days have been immense and great to watch but everyones' efforts have now been degraded because of the actions of (hopefully) a few.

BB

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have been impressed with the climbing in the French Alps and Pyrenees. Some roads so steep that even the Q Bike might struggle.:D
No way, the Q bike would murder them, and so would the T bike. :p Those climbs aren't all that steep, mostly from 5% to 10%, but they go on for a long time of course. I call those slopes, for me hills begin at 12% and go on to 25%.

Even the T bike will climb 20% (1 in 5) in the 60" second gear, that's 2" higher than the Torq's lowest gear.

I've just hauled an under counter fridge and some miscellaneous rubbish up to the council depot on 5% and 7% hills, using my trailer with the Q bike for the usual Thursday run. Bet those tour guys would slow down a bit with that lot attached behind. :D

But yes, they're great athletes, even those who decide to be stupid and use drugs.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
How steep the Hills in France

No way, the Q bike would murder them, and so would the T bike. :p Those climbs aren't all that steep, mostly from 5% to 10%, but they go on for a long time of course. I call those slopes, for me hills begin at 12% and go on to 25%.

Even the T bike will climb 20% (1 in 5) in the 60" second gear, that's 2" higher than the Torq's lowest gear.

I've just hauled an under counter fridge and some miscellaneous rubbish up to the council depot on 5% and 7% hills, using my trailer with the Q bike for the usual Thursday run. Bet those tour guys would slow down a bit with that lot attached behind. :D

But yes, they're great athletes, even those who decide to be stupid and use drugs.
You're absolutely right Flecc. The hills on Main and secondary roads in France are seldom steeper than 10% - but it's the height they must climb - 2000 meters at 10% is 20 Kilometers (see Col du Galibier)
There was a ride I made on a Tour of (not 'de') France from St. Agreve (at the watershed between the Med and Atlantic) in the Auverge where the road ran down to the Rhone at La Voulte. It was 74 kilometers with nary a need to pedal.
Funny thing was it did not aggravate coming up from the North: I guess the altitude must have been gained very gradually.
Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I can't get anywhere near those lengths of climbs Peter. Heading south from my home I have 8 kilometres/5 miles with that gently climbing characteristic, rising 163 metres. There's one short nasty bit of 14%, but most of it rises almost imperceptibly. Great on the T bike as I can speed up it at about 20 mph nearly all the way if I put in a bit of effort.

The north flank of the North Downs is mainly like that, gently rising when heading south, but coming from the south that flank often presents almost a cliff face. Plenty for geologists to puzzle over.

Advertisers