Touring tips

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Been thinking about this myself recently, about to do the pedal for scotland, not too long at 54 miles and 54 miles back a two nigher so small taster. Now looking to do the three cities next year, i think it comes down to three things:

1) How fit you are, you need to be able to cycle with no power if you get caught out.

2) You need a bike which will allow the above so needs to be light.

3) Hotels overnight to recharge, take 2 batteries, was also thinking if you stop for lunch "borrow" a socket. Make sure you sit next to a wall socket :D

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Thanks overland

Been thinking about this myself recently, about to do the pedal for scotland, not too long at 54 miles and 54 miles back a two nigher so small taster. Now looking to do the three cities next year, i think it comes down to three things:

1) How fit you are, you need to be able to cycle with no power if you get caught out.

Think I'm fit enough know. Not very fast but I can plod on all day and with the rolhoff I have a pretty good gear range.

2) You need a bike which will allow the above so needs to be light.

Bike is 23kg with battery which give it's got rack, mudguards, etc.. It's a flyer s

3) Hotels overnight to recharge, take 2 batteries, was also thinking if you stop for lunch "borrow" a socket. Make sure you sit next to a wall socket

The nice thing is that there is a scheme call flyer land which means I can rent a spare for 5 francs a day and exchange it at any shops in the scheme

Flyer-Land – Switch on, sit on and set off … - Cycling in Switzerland

:D

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
It would be good if you could use an electric bike touring but i think unless the event is short and hotel based its a not going to work. Maybe one day! I done the 400 km from Ho Chi Ninh city to Angkor Wat and that would have not been possible using an electric bike. Not only the risk of not charging but if something went seriously wrong with the electronics it could be a major headache. I would not like to cycle a bike which is already heavy plus two sets of panniers loaded :eek:

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
I'm considering using swiss trail who cart your stuff and arrange accommodation. Think fully loaded camping would be impractial and for my first trip I think I'll let someone else do the planning.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Sounds ideal for your first trip but to be 100% honest if you want to do touring even as a hobby you really need to drop the electric bike idea its just too restrictive. Touring for me is what bikes are all about there is just no better way to interact with the locals, cyclist and bikers are usually a welcome curiosity for the locals. I tour a lot in my GS and Nissan Patrol and there is a distinct difference in peoples attitude to the bike and 4x4. They are much more accommodating to the bike, strange.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think 2 batteries should give an approximate range of 60-80 miles plus? Surely enough to make Cycle touring/camping feasible? While I except an electrical malfunction can ruin a holiday (mine was in Italy this month:( ) These things can happen.....

My thinking has changed and a quality hybrid bike with a kit is more appropriate for holidays then a heavy e bike. One that can easily be converted back to a normal bike by leaving of the battery and changing the front wheel back to the normal one.... Probably my plan for the future to avoid having a motorhome trip spoilt:rolleyes:

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
I'm hoping the reliability of the panasonic system will be good enough. Long term I think maybe a nice touring bike maybe on the cards but I will see how I get on with the flyer.

whibbles52

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 1, 2010
France nr. Geneva
Looking at the Swisstrrails catalogue they quote the range with additional batteries as between 80-100km and the longest day on this itinerary is 82km but this is mainly on the flat. I am not sure if you can rent a battery from Swiss Flyer if you dont rent a bike from them but I would be surprised if you had a problem charging batteries at hotels/restaurants.

On Saturday, I am planning to do part of the Jura Route - Basel–Nyon - Cycling in Switzerland route from Nyon to Vallee de Joux - 50km with a big climb to 1200m with my newly acquired BH Sport Max. First impressions are that these bikes can really climb.

Touring with an electric bike should be possible if the distances/climbs are reasonable and you avoid camping. I am planning a tour of the French Atlantic coast where they have over 1000km of cycle routes and although, its mainly flat, it should extend my range and deal with headwinds. One of the advantages of touring with an ebike is that it allows me to climb some big hills without my eyes popping out of their sockets.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
You can rent the battery without the bike. I emailed a bike shop in Zurich. Coverage looks good too but I don't know what availability is like on the day.

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I bought a trike specifically for touring (Velotechnik Scorpion) and recently converted it to electric and with 2 batteries (20Ahr) ~8kg and all the camping gear ~6kg it's stable and comfortable and it has a 100 mile range (with a bit of pedalling) which is about as far as I want to go each day.
I've yet to do my 'big trip' but if it wasn't assisted then I'd see a lot less and it wouldn't be as much fun.

PS still can't figure out how to post pics otherwise you could see it.