May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
very neat job.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
I think the easiest/cheapest way to make a 2WD is to fit a dual motor controller. KT may supply you one for sensorless motors. You would also need to replace the King Meter JLCD with one of theirs.

http://www.szktdz.com/en/news_show.php?article_id=523
Not that i’m now doing 2-wheel drive but i’ve had a reply from KT. Minimum order for these controllers is a quantity of 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
A simple tip for those that do their own maintenance. Replace your side stand with an adjustable centre stand. I have found it great for doing my motors. I have also fitted a chain slap guide but it’s not necessary to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gaz
D

Deleted member 4366

Well, when are we going to find out how well it works?

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
63922502-D53D-4AA4-BB5B-38F732F847C5.jpeg C398F30C-CFAA-4536-89B7-92B8BE94F851.jpeg Junction box fitted to back end. Tried and tested. It works really great. I can easily toggle between motors without moving hands off handlebars. I much prefer the ride using the new rear motor. Whenever it starts to labour a bit i just switch over to front BPM motor and then back again.
Second photo shows how i’ve fitted a steering elastomer damper to my bike which has suspension forks. Works great. I hated that front wheel swinging around.
Now, what else can i alter.....

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
DAF4DA69-97AF-47EC-AB75-D3F126723D5F.jpeg Six months on and i can report that my Big Bear rides beautifully. Road legal dual motors. Anyone that is thinking of doing the same will not be disappointed with the results.

• Informative

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
View attachment 25411 Six months on and i can report that my Big Bear rides beautifully. Road legal dual motors. Anyone that is thinking of doing the same will not be disappointed with the results.
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I think that dual motors makes the bike non-compliant with EU regulations.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I think that dual motors makes the bike non-compliant with EU regulations.
the OP has a big switch to switch to front or rear traction.

Reactions: Marwood Hill

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
the OP has a big switch to switch to front or rear traction.

Yes, the switch is rather on the big side. It was the smallest suitable switch i could find. It’s a 9-pin generator changeover switch. The only suitable waterproof housing box makes it look even bigger. It does arouse curiosity. Many people do ask “what make bike is it?”.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
. Anyone that is thinking of doing the same will not be disappointed with the results.
Anyone that is thinking of trying to lift it will be disappointed by the results.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Anyone that is thinking of trying to lift it will be disappointed by the results.
That is part of the keep fit plan Rob! Not only do you get stronger legs but also stronger arms and shoulders! :) And imagine you don't need to lock it to anything, thieves can't just drive up, grab it and chuck it in the back of a van. Instant hernia! :cool: </tongue in cheek mode>

Seriously it isn't going to be any heavier than one of those hideous fat bike things.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
That is part of the keep fit plan Rob! Not only do you get stronger legs but also stronger arms and shoulders! :) And imagine you don't need to lock it to anything, thieves can't just drive up, grab it and chuck it in the back of a van. Instant hernia! :cool: </tongue in cheek mode>

Seriously it isn't going to be any heavier than one of those hideous fat bike things.
True, and it's only an extra motor and associated bits.

Carrying a spare battery or a well-stuffed panniers on a standard Bear would weigh as much.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
When the battery is in place and the bike is on it’s centre stand, the weight is exactly the same front and rear. It could be used as a set of scales. I don’t intend lifting it. I have a brand new ‘second bike’ ordered and on the way. Should be here Monday. A bike that i can easily fold, lift and transport when needed. It’s a @KwikFold Xite 3.

Last edited:

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
[QUOTE="And imagine you don't need to lock it to anything.[/QUOTE]
So confident that nobody will attempt to carry it away i have fitted a frame lock. So much better than carrying around a chain or a D-lock. Just turn a key and done.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
[QUOTE="And imagine you don't need to lock it to anything.
So confident that nobody will attempt to carry it away i have fitted a frame lock. So much better than carrying around a chain or a D-lock. Just turn a key and done.[/QUOTE]
And most of the time i have a trailer securely attached. My Big Bear is now used as my cargo bike. Very handy now that our council have started charging for taking away garden waste which i have opted out of.

Advertisers