Transferable Warranty

Pilot999

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2020
Hi.
Is there any manufacturer’s that allow there warranty to be transferred.
Thanks

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Hi.
Is there any manufacturer’s that allow there warranty to be transferred.
Thanks
Would have thought all? Its an expensive consumer product. Cars and motorcycles do! I have sold motorcycles after a couple of months with the remainder of the 24 month warranty going to the new buyer.

Pilot999

Sep 22, 2020
Hi.
I ask the question because of the four manufacturers I checked on, all stated the warranty was with the original owner.
I am trying to purchase a new or nearly new and with this info it makes a nearly new impossible to buy because it has an almost new price but, no warranty.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Hi.
I ask the question because of the four manufacturers I checked on, all stated the warranty was with the original owner.
I am trying to purchase a new or nearly new and with this info it makes a nearly new impossible to buy because it has an almost new price but, no warranty.
That's a real pain, suppose if it is in black and white on the warranty, then that is the case???? o_O

Think I would be inclined to avoid those manufacturers with limited warranties...... Shows poor faith in their product methinks!

Pilot999

Sep 22, 2020
That makes it difficult......
Haibike
Scott
Cube
Giant
Halfords
It seems every one I check has the same conditions
Please tell me there are exceptions

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You still have extensive protection under general consumer rights laws. Companies often make statements of limitations in their warranties that are not actually legally correct in the hope of persuading customers they have fewer rights than they actually do. I don't know what the situation is with e-bikes, probably the same as with other higher cost consumer products. If anyone on this forum is a member of Which? they might ask their legal department.

Reactions: MontyPAS

Pilot999

Sep 22, 2020
Good point, well made.
I am to old for the hassle, so I am thinking , go new.
Giant Fathom E+2
Haibike Sduro Hardseven 6.0
Any thoughts.
Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wisper will transfer warranty and Woosh I believe will/may start a new warranty process a small fee may be payable, what both will do is supply spares so a very big plus as well.
Problem with most mid drive is once a bike reaches the two year milestone of no warranty you bike is an expensive one to repair should an electronic part be required, they should but don't offer an extendable warranty which is poor.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
oblem with most mid drive is once a bike reaches the two year milestone of no warranty you bike is an expensive one to repair should an electronic part be required, they should but don't offer an extendable warranty which is poor.
Specialized warranty is now 4 years.

Reactions: Nealh

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Amoto,

The issue with transferring a Warranty is we don't know what state the bike is in before transfer. This is particularly relevant regarding batteries. We do allow transfer automatically when 2nd hand Wispers are bought through the trade after the dealer has confirmed to us that the bike is good. Alternatively anyone buying a 2nd hand Wisper can take to to a Wisper Dealers for checking, there will be a cost involved payable directly to the dealer for this work. The cost will vary from dealer to dealer but shouldn't be more than £40.00.

Re extended warranty, that's a seriously solid idea. What % of the bike cost would you consider acceptable for 1 year extension?

All the best, David

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For extended warranty the important issue the electronic system, mech parts can be replaced quite easily with most being std mass produced.
A battery after two years of age is hard one to extend but maybe the switch or contacts maybe the harder parts to source.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I agree, maybe on electronic parts only, however as the bicycle parts are easily replaceable and not as expensive as the electronics it would probably be easier to cover the whole bike. The cost would be in the region of 10% of the bike value. Does that sound too high?

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
You still have extensive protection under general consumer rights laws. Companies often make statements of limitations in their warranties that are not actually legally correct in the hope of persuading customers they have fewer rights than they actually do. I don't know what the situation is with e-bikes, probably the same as with other higher cost consumer products. If anyone on this forum is a member of Which? they might ask their legal department.
Sorry, that's utter tosh. Care to explain how a purchaser of a second hand item can enforce anything against a company they don't have a contract with? There's only a slim chance of a warranty claim on second hand goods and that's when the manufacturer specifically gives 'third party rights' , which almost never happens.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Specialized warranty is now 4 years.
Where is that from? From https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/warranty
  • Other Specialized-branded products (as well as frame paint and graphics) are covered by a two-year warranty. Turbo batteries have a warranty for 2 years or 300 charge cycles—whichever comes first.
Transferable as was commented above, and still probably better than average.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I agree, maybe on electronic parts only, however as the bicycle parts are easily replaceable and not as expensive as the electronics it would probably be easier to cover the whole bike. The cost would be in the region of 10% of the bike value. Does that sound too high?
For piece of mind 10% sound fair , for a lot of folks another two years ?
Beneficial to both parties, piece of mind for user should an issue occur. Obviously wear, tear user damage is excluded on mech parts and for the vendor extra income is a welcome bonus and even better if no claim is made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Good point, well made.
I am to old for the hassle, so I am thinking , go new.
Giant Fathom E+2
Haibike Sduro Hardseven 6.0
Any thoughts.
Thanks
I'm sure you would be delighted with either of these and both with Yamaha motors, the problem may be sourcing one!
I've owned a Giant Fathom E+2 for almost a year and approaching 3000 miles and it's been perfect for me.
I fitted a slightly higher stem as at my age I now prefer a more upright stance,
also mudguards and rear rack and changed the rear cassette from 11-42 to 11-36 as I found it a little low geared for me.
l purchased it fairly locally in case of problems but none appeared so the only visit has been for a free check over.
Dave.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
From Specialized themselves and according to my bike supplier extended to Creo as well. Why are you offering a 4-year motor warranty to owners of a 2019/20 Turbo Levo and 2020 Kenevo?
A number of affected riders have expressed to us that they are concerned for the longevity of their purchase, we want to speak directly to this concern by offering peace of mind and demonstrating confidence in our products. We’ve made running improvements to 2.1 motors fitted to the latest MY21 bikes and we want to offer the same peace of mind to all existing owners.

Which bikes are covered and how will the 4-year warranty work?
All 2.1 motors fitted to model year 2019/20 Levo & model year 2020 Kenevo bikes immediately carry a 4-year warranty from the date of purchase. No certificate or new warranty document is required, our authorised retailers will base any motor warranty claim on bike serial number.

Is this warranty transferrable if a rider sells the bike?
Absolutely – the rider must pass on their proof of purchase as this is a pre-requisite of all warranty support. To all owners of 2019/20 Turbo Levo & 2020 Kenevo featuring the Specialized 2.1 motor, here's a letter to you from Mike Sinyard - our founder and CEO.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
That's a fair point from Specialized, we don't get that many warranty claims so the transfer to the new owner should be less involved maybe, I will sort this out. Also I like their motor warranty, we hardly ever have a motor issue even on very old bikes so for our customers' peace of mind maybe we should extend.

Food for thought.

Related Articles

Advertisers