True a wheel. Bike shop or DIY?

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
My front wheel is way out having bought a cheap stand to try to straighten myself. Bottled out tbh as and will take the wheel to my local bike shop tomorrow.
Seems mixed advice online regarding DIY. What do most people do?
Guess if it's a small adjustment then worth trying..

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
If you only have one bicycle and aren't really that interested in diy and maintenance - then use the lbs.

Otherwise: Roger Musson Wheel Building book, Spokey nipple tool, Spoke tension meter

Take the tyre off, slacken all the spoke nipples. tighten up those on the short spoke side until they've all got the same tension. Check rim is an actual circle - adjust as necessary. Then tighten up the long spoke side enough to centre the rim.

Job done.

• Agree
Reactions: flash and Wayners

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I'm interested in having ago,but I wonder If I'd really need some good kit and practice a bit on old wheels Vs jumping in the deep end

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
To be quite frank - all you really need is a spoke-key, something to hold the wheel in = upside down fork, and a good ear to detect similarly tensioned spokes.

Give it a whirl on an old wheel - it's quite therapeutic and pretty cool when you've help make one of mankind's strongest structures :cool:

• Agree
Reactions: flash

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
I have built my own wheels for over 50 years, I was taught by my Uncle who ran a bike shop. When he retired he gave me his wheel jig and various other tools. The jig is made from cast iron and is older than me. It is very therapeutic and a great feeling to be whizzing along on wheels you buit yourself.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm interested in having ago,but I wonder If I'd really need some good kit and practice a bit on old wheels Vs jumping in the deep end
You don't need any expensive kit. All you need is a spoke key. You don't need a stand because you can do it on the bike using the brakes as a guide if you have rim brakes, oherwise a cable-tie or two make brilliant pointers. If you're truing a pre-built wheel, the only thing you need to do is figure out which way the rim needs to be pulled and where, then tighten the nipples of the spokes on the side you want to pull it to 1/4 turn at a time. keep going until the rim runs true.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Once you have tried once and even if you don't quite get it right , you can simply go again. No guarantee the LBS will get it right but one would hope so

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I used a cheap Xact truing stand from chainreaction with good results. It clamps to a desk to give a good working height. Just takes time ans lots of little adjustments.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Update

After taking a look I decided to take to local bike shop. Guy said it was made wrong and took a while to centre it and get it correct. Was way out from new. I'm well happy with it. Tbh its well worth the money getting it done especially being a hub motor wheel.
I then swapped tyres from 1.35 to 2.00 and what a difference in the ride comfort.

Reactions: flash

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Glad you found a LBS to do the work.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Yeah I have. Guy was a car mechanic I think. He's got a personality as well. I'd like to get on the tools and play in there. I'll support the shop and much as I can..

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
:p

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A good few years ago I had to imporvise to true my front wheel by standing on it and jumping up and down .
Along a grassy offroad trail I hit a hole/rut most likely a bunny hole and went over the bars , the rim got jammed and bent pretty well badly . I did managed to stomp on it to get it rideable and home again , a new rim and spokes son had me back on the road.

Reactions: Oldie

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My local crook bike shop (he really is a crook), charges £20, plus extra if the wheel needs a lot of work... and it takes him TWO DAYS! Rather than wait two days, I've slowly been getting better (at least I think so) doing it myself. I spent about 2 hours last night getting both my wheels straighter than they have ever been, and with the brand new brake blocks, my V-brakes are sharper than they have ever been too. I just use a Aldi bike stand and torch. Spokes at very high tension can be heard, by plucking as one would guitar strings.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Why do you guys need to true wheels so often. I ride up and down Alps mainly off road with some rocky descents, haven't needed to true a wheel for years. I don't think I have needed to true a wheel for in excess of 20 years since I bought my first actual 'good' bike.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Why do you guys need to true wheels so often. I ride up and down Alps mainly off road with some rocky descents, haven't needed to true a wheel for years. I don't think I have needed to true a wheel for in excess of 20 years since I bought my first actual 'good' bike.
With myself, if I applied brake i would rock back and forth. Just no control over the braking pressure.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
With myself, if I applied brake i would rock back and forth. Just no control over the braking pressure.
That's more likely to be a dent in the rim with rim brakes. Even if a wheel is out of true (a little) the brake caliper will just move sideways as the out of true part comes past the caliper. Disc brakes would prevent that issue in the first place. I personally wouldn't ride an Ebike with rim brakes unless they were hydraulic but that may be more to do with where I ride than anything else.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
@chris_n

I posted about wheel. It was way out from new.
However when I was younger I can't remember buckles being a problem. As you say I think small stuff rides unnoticed . Guess we are older and a tad OCD.ha..

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My wheels were slightly wonky from new, and they've been progressively becoming truer as my truing skills have been improving. Any time I do any maintenance (as rare as possible is my preference), such as when changing v-brake blocks, I true them a bit more.

Reactions: sjpt

Related Articles

Advertisers