Tubeless repairs miles down the trail

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Any horror stories? Seems all new Emtbs have tubeless these days. I hear it can be hard to remove them if an inner tube is needed to get home. Iv'e very few punctures up here on Highland trails as I run on 45psi minimum with tubed tyres at present. And so easy to fix when I do. I do have a slime tube on the rear hub wheel though.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not had a flat since 2014 but i have sg tyres front and rear ;)

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
I'm not converted to TL, was out today discovering new hidden trails in Inshriach forest (39km, 640m ascent) and run my 2.35" Nobby Nics 30R/28F never had a problem with punctures around here- we don't have the curse of thorn bushes and just don't run them stupidly low to avoid pinch flats. When these wear out I've a pair of 2.6" to replace them with but may buy a 2.8" or 3" for the rear and run lower pressures. I think it's this "replacing the sealant/ cleaning the inners and rims every 3 months" that really puts me off TL...

Reactions: Charliefox

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you dont need to clean out the sealant every 3 months unless like stans no tubes it is corrosive then better safe than sorry.
DSC_0161.JPG
you will find it just evaporates over the months and i just remove the valve core and top up with a syringe.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
I'm an old fashioned tube kind of Guy, I know the purists will go tubeless, but I have never had any real puncture issues with modern MTB tyres.

Coupled with the, having to top up sealant, the mess when you do take the tyre off and the other stories about wheels corroding, do I need the bother..no. Plus you always still have to take a spare tube anyway, as they say.

I ain't no professional downhill-er, more a weekend wanderer, so fixing the odd puncture is not a concern, in fact I just carry a couple of spare tubes, and fix the punctures when I get home, but each to their own I say.

Just my little ol opinion.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I run tubeless, but that is simply because of the amount of gorse and thorns in my area, and the low tyre pressures that I run.

I find it interesting that many of the competitors in the Mega Avalanche, still run tubes. That really suprised me when I was told that by a friend that has done it a few times.

Last edited:

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Punctured every other ride round here with tubes.
Since converting to tubeless no thorn or glass punctures at all.
Had to change from nobby nics to minion dhf and double down on rear for side wall cuts,

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Went tubeless last year, best thing out apart for a dropper post....now that's a must.
Hubby's liking his Eddy Currents may try them next too.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I find it hard to believe that anyone would pay £700 for a dropper post!! A fifth of the price of a decent Giant E+3 with one fitted already...though not electronic. I will carry on sliding off the back of the saddle for the few times I need to.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i use Effetto and not had a problem so far but just seen that Vitamina CL so might add some of that but then its as much as the muc off stuff.

i used stans b4 it eat a hole in my rim but never had a flat or it ball up in the tyre.

the effetto stuff bubbles up inside the tyre when moving why it is so thin but did not seem any different from the stans stuff tbh and half the price and not corrosive.

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
soundwave,
I am currently using the Race version of Stan's which the testers claimed performed better than the standard one (7/10).
If their test results are to be believed, then Muc-Off at 10/10 is the one to go for. The Effetto only scored 6/10 but if you are pleased with it then that is all that matters.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Effetto all the way for me, which I have been using for about the last four years. I did try Orange Seal briefly after being asked to try it, but quickly switched back to Effetto.

I gave up with Stans a very long time ago, as it just balled up into a rubberized mess after a very short period, and failed me on several occasions.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Effetto all the way for me, which I have been using for about the last four years. I did try Orange Seal briefly after being asked to try it, but quickly switched back to Effetto.

I gave up with Stans a very long time ago, as it just balled up into a rubberized mess after a very short period, and failed me on several occasions.
you going to get any of that Vitamina CL £17 is about the cheapest i have found it but imo if i had a 8mm slice in my tyre id rather get a new one than keep using it.

tho i have seen ppl just using glitter and seems to work blocking the holes up.

also it is a pita as you have to add it in to the tyre so no syringe.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I haven't looked into that, but I'm happy enough with Effetto CaffeLatex.

I do have a pain in the backside hole that I have just put in a brand new Nobby Nic though. Flint and riding on the South Downs isn't a great combination. :(

Related Articles

Advertisers