Typical data for 7 mile commute to work.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
For those that are interested: Electric to work. by vikki15 at Garmin Connect - Details

The page shows all the data of a typical ride to work (7 miles) on a Wisper 905se City. Hopefully it will be helpful to people to see how this bike actually performs. I should say that similar bikes should perform in a similar way.

Bear in mind that I pedal lightly and have the throttle flat out :D

Since riding my trike every other day (weather permitting) I have found that more recent data than that shown has led to an increase in average speed as I seem to be putting more effort in but not noticing it. Data shown is more like it for casual cycling.

By using satellite view you can see where averages drop and why and also where long stretches of blasting along occur.

Best regards.

Vikki.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Ooooo, that is bumpy. Like you say, I bet there's bumpier out there that other members ride :eek:

I'll have to have a browse around Sportypal, looks like a good site.

That's some distance you travel as well.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Very impressive - will these bikes really do 18mph on the flat with full throttle and light pedalling?

I cruise at 18-21mph on the flat on my speeded up Technium, but I am putting in quite a bit of effort at these speeds.

Last edited:

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
For 18mph the wind would have been behind me.

With the exercise that I'd got on the trike I may be putting in a little more effort than I used to without realising it. A more consistant speed is 16.5 to 17.5mph. But yes, those figures are genuine, I'm not riding like the devil on it. I can get it up to 20-22mph now for short periods but that's without the assist helping out (gone beyond it).

Without pedalling I get 15-16.5mph, light or no wind.

Flat out the range is reduced which is why on recreational rides of length I will pedelec it at a reduced speed of 13mph +/- 0.5mph.

Hope that helps.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I should also point out that the route has slight undulations along its length. The ascending steepness of which doesn't really phase the Wisper at all, but the very gentle and long descent sections help in pushing the speed up a little - especially as your own effort seems to go further. Down Harts Farm Way the descent is a little steeper and speed can be gained quite easily. I've hammered my trike (non-powered) down there at 22mph (at which point I spin-out, meaning I can't pedal any faster). The ebike, should I wish to push it will do that as well.

I have noticed an increase in the average speed over the last few weeks and I put this down, mostly, to a warmer battery in these warmer times. Come winter those speeds will drop by a good 3-4mph.

I never go above 6th gear (7th always seems a little heavy to me) and have a fairly high cadence rate (learnt from the trike). That may well have an effect on overall speed but at the end of the day, it is still light pedalling.

Mind you, if you decide to accelerate past someone and really lay into the pedals you take off like a like a rocket. The nice thing after burning that amount of glucose is you can stop pedalling and let the throttle take over till you recover.

Really strong headwinds can do you in. Lots of assistance from you to the motor just to maintain 13mph. That's still passing the poor devils without a motor. They really struggle to hold 7-8mph.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
This one: Ebike back home, strong headwind. by vikki15 at Garmin Connect - Details

This evening's ride home was against a strong headwind and required a wee bit more input from me to maintain speed. Throttle only dipped to about 14.5mph.

Slower speeds are when I get into town a keep my speed down on shared cycleways. I usually go 4th on 80% pedelec.

Higher speeds that don't last long are short but steep downhills.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
There was quite a strong south westerly this evening! Even so your Wisper seems a very capable bike if you could manage 14.5mph against it without pedalling.