Uncouthed!!

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
As a small boy not long ago;), I was often described as an "uncouthed" little so & so, I always wondered if there are people out there who are "couthed", and if so what is couthed perhaps a creepy little school monitor type,?? Mike.:rolleyes::D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good point Mike! According to dictionaries Couth infers good manners and refinement and can be an adjective or noun, so the latter shows there can be couth people. One source seen states it to be a back formation from uncouth.

I hope I am also couth since I always try my best to treat others with respect, whether in the real or virtual world.

I can remember being uncouth at the age of five when I practiced my new found ability with foul language some distance from home. Unfortunately for me the adult victim knew where I lived so I was subsequently taught a swift and hard lesson in why I should be couth in future.

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
Couth is a good word meaning "having good manners" - e.g. from a Times restaurant review by A A Gill: "In the finest Scottish tradition of intellectual exhibitionism, he's secreted a fine living wrapping worthy and indigestible classics in fine bindings for couth parties to display in their parlours"

I don't think that the same holds for ungainly though - a graceful person would not be described as gainly.

Last edited:

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Good point Mike! According to dictionaries Couth infers good manners and refinement and can be an adjective or noun, so the latter shows there can be couth people. One source seen states it to be a back formation from uncouth.

I hope I am also couth since I always try my best to treat others with respect, whether in the real or virtual world.

I can remember being uncouth at the age of five when I practiced my new found ability with foul language some distance from home. Unfortunately for me the adult victim knew where I lived so I was subsequently taught a swift and hard lesson in why I should be couth in future.
As a boy I lived in a small village any uncouthed behaviour was known to my mother by the time I got home, and resulted in a clip round the ear followed by the dreaded "wait till your father gets home":eek:, Mike.
PS all this dribble cos i'm bored, very wet & windy so I can't get out on my bike.:(

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I managed a one hour ride between showers without getting wet, but I had to wait until 3.00 PM. Regarding couth/ uncouth, I suspect there are several words that do not have positive and negative versions. If a minister of a church gets the sack, he is said to be "unfrocked", but we never hear of him being frocked in the first place. You might be disgruntled, but however pleased you are you are never said to be gruntled. Something unsavourey can be called disgusting. But however pleasant a thing is , it is never referred to as gusting. Someone who is insane is said to be unhinged. I like to think I am well and truly hinged, but others might disagree.
Going back to church ministers, your local parson might be referred to as Reverend Blank. After promotion he becomes the Right Reverend blank. In time he may rise to the dizzy heights of The Very Reverend Blank. My question is, what was his title when he started as an apprentice? The Hardly Noticeable Reverend, or perhaps the Scarcely Reverend?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Going back to church ministers, your local parson might be referred to as Reverend Blank. After promotion he becomes the Right Reverend blank. In time he may rise to the dizzy heights of The Very Reverend Blank. My question is, what was his title when he started as an apprentice? The Hardly Noticeable Reverend, or perhaps the Scarcely Reverend?
I can never see reference to religious titles without recalling Jaime Sin in the Phillipines. A catholic, he rose to become Cardinal Sin.

Last edited:
Reactions: neptune

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Yep, bored too. I really fancied getting out for a ride today, however, my only current option was to go out on my non assisted Giant hybrid which I really didn't fancy. This has made me determined to get a test ride on my next possible electric bike in the coming fortnight if at all possible. I've been pondering it for the past few weeks, but push has finally come to shove.

Flecc - your reference to Cardinal Sin reminded me of an article I once read about a real life Dr De'ath. Wouldn't fancy undergoing a routine operation from him.....

Last edited:

Advertisers