Underwear

Spiffy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 10, 2021
I'm sure a subject that's come up before but I can't seem to find any discussions.
My hybrid step through bike is amazing and I'm finding it relatively easy to cycle 15+ miles just wearing everyday jeans.
I don't seem to be suffering from chafing but my sit bones ache/hurt not dreadfully but I want to up my mileage.
I can't see myself wearing the padded cycling Lycra outerwear but I was thinking some kind of padded underwear might help?
What do you guys or maybe I should say gals wear?
What would you suggest it avoid.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I'm sure a subject that's come up before but I can't seem to find any discussions.
My hybrid step through bike is amazing and I'm finding it relatively easy to cycle 15+ miles just wearing everyday jeans.
I don't seem to be suffering from chafing but my sit bones ache/hurt not dreadfully but I want to up my mileage.
I can't see myself wearing the padded cycling Lycra outerwear but I was thinking some kind of padded underwear might help?
What do you guys or maybe I should say gals wear?
What would you suggest it avoid.
I have the same problem, What saddle are you using ?
Wittkop medicus trekking has been mentioned favourably on this site in the past, I have 2 on the bike i ride for hours at a time but I still wear padded shorts On long rides (2 to 5 hours)
alternatively, I’ve a big ass saddle on my cruiser (the black one) and that gives me no discomfort in street clothes, my sister has an extremely plush saddle that she favours without padded shorts (the brown one)
236494D8-DE2B-446B-85EF-3719D66F9787.jpeg2E6133CD-8C8B-4879-81F3-9EDBE634EFDD.jpeg

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Like others have said, I'd try a different saddle before looking for padded shorts etc.

My mountainbike came with a decent saddle (firm & slim, great for offroad), I've tried a superwide "Comfort" saddle that felt great but was just a bit too wide when pedalling, now I'm using a medium wide "Comfort" one which suits me well (it cost £10/£15 reduced from £50 in a Plant-X sale, some good bargains if you time it right). I find the width at the back half is important for my "sit" bones, I'm not bothered if it narrow or tapered at the front half.
Ignore the narrow / hard / race types and you should have a few to pick from. https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/components/finishing-kit/saddles

I also tried a suspension seatpost, some folk on this forum love them, mine was from an older bike and allowed some "twist" when you were pedalling which I didn't like, different styles / more modern ones may be better.

Last edited: