Up coming budget 17th November.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As expected and with fewer ICE vehicle sales, the RFL for EV's which are becoming ever more used will need applying to fill a bit of the financial black hole the gov't has. I can't see the std RFl duty of £165 being applied but wouldn't surpise me to see a £75 rate or a scaled rate of £25 - the current £165 for differing weight/motor vs kw power being introduced.
End of the day if one can afford an EV at the silly prices they cost then one I believe can easily afford a modest RFL as they still cause some pollution via tyre erosion and brake dust particles.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As expected and with fewer ICE vehicle sales, the RFL for EV's which are becoming ever more used will need applying to fill a bit of the financial black hole the gov't has. I can't see the std RFl duty of £165 being applied but wouldn't surpise me to see a £75 rate or a scaled rate of £25 - the current £165 for differing weight/motor vs kw power being introduced.
End of the day if one can afford an EV at the silly prices they cost then one I believe can easily afford a modest RFL as they still cause some pollution via tyre erosion and brake dust particles.
The EV pollution from tyre and brake wear is grossly exaggerated by those who hate the change to EVs, especially since the motor braking to regenerate obviates most of the braking. EV brake pads seem to last for ever, much to the distress of the motor trade. They need far fewer replacement parts too, so that's also environmentally better.

However I think they should pay the full amount of VED, scaled to the size and power of the vehicle, since in most respects they are as much nuisance on the roads as other motor vehicles.

I'd like to see VED also mileage based, easily done since that is recorded at every MOT. The first two year ends could be recorded at any MOT station for a small fee.

As you say Neal, owners like myself can afford it. We should all pay our nuisance value to society and all motor vehicles certainly are a nuisance in very many ways.

Reactions: Danidl

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's annoying that new EVs are so big, heavy and fast. They'd be greener small, light and slow - if made simpler, they might also be more affordable, which could help us meet targets for net-zero.

There are open-source platforms, which look interesting for rolling your own, but they don't look cheap:

The problem ..if one is prepared to see it that way is that EVs are being sold as the luxury models In a range and not as the base model.. whereas one can get a bog standard Dacia Duster , with cheap windows, non entertainment centre ,and serviceable plastics in the fascia etc, ,The same is not done with EVs. We might know that the extra manufacturing cost of installing a media centre, or leather trimmed upholstery is negligible, but hey are sold as premium version, the EV s get these inserted into the only models for sale. This immediately elevates them into the luxury category.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My 16 yr old astra estate will be kept going till it's no longer affordable in diesel prices. After that I quite like the idea of the quadricycle route for my local needs to drive for when a cycle isn't suitable.
I like the quirky looking Ami maybe I coud adapt one with a CF tow hitch ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
VED is easy to implement as the mileage as all electronically recorded as Flecc mentions , all they have to do is send a bill each year as they do currently for VED.
£10 per 100 miles driven should do it.

Somehow we need to make car ownership costly to reduce the street parking mayhem ruining every thing. Also it should be illegal to park a car on the street at your address if you have off road parking.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My 16 yr old astra estate will be kept going till it's no longer affordable in diesel prices. After that I quite like the idea of the quadricycle route for my local needs to drive for when a cycle isn't suitable.
I like the quirky looking Ami maybe I coud adapt one with a CF tow hitch ?
You've got a couple of Swizzbees - why not hold the bikes parallel 4ft apart, shove in tubes instead of seatposts either side, holding up a roof with solar panel, front and rear windshields, sides, plus a platform for seats and cabin front, and secure the other end of the platform to the bike frame fronts... add a steering column to guide both front wheels, and synchronise control signals to the motors from one controller - then you could tow two Carry Freedom trailers attached to each rear axle. The GuerneyCar is born. Please upload a photo if you do it.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The problem ..if one is prepared to see it that way is that EVs are being sold as the luxury models In a range and not as the base model.. whereas one can get a bog standard Dacia Duster , with cheap windows, non entertainment centre ,and serviceable plastics in the fascia etc, ,The same is not done with EVs. We might know that the extra manufacturing cost of installing a media centre, or leather trimmed upholstery is negligible, but hey are sold as premium version, the EV s get these inserted into the only models for sale. This immediately elevates them into the luxury category.
From a business point of view, car manufacturers can't ignore the advantage offered as billions of car drivers being forced by governments to buy electric cars by a certain time... and of course they'll squeeze every drop of dirty lucre they can from that market stuck between a rock and a hard place - which is why think there should be restriction in how complex, big, fast and heavy EV can legally be for personal transport: Ami type EVs only, with optional swap in long range batteries. It's disgusting that electric car makers are churning out (technologically impressive) hypercars like the 1.9 second 0-60mph Rimac Nevera, exploiting the advances made in materials science, electric drivetrain and component design, to make ever faster, heavier and more powerful EVs; such products serve as halos to enable other manufacturers to sell dazzled buyers EVs which are more expensive than they need to be. We need to avert the climate catastrophe - the 400ft sea rise and flood after the last ice age happened very rapidly, like how nothing seems to happen for hours after you've left the freezer to defrost... then it all seems to happen at once. :eek:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This isn't late 70's and early 80's Britain, Thatcherite budgets won't create sufficient growth.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
There is the dacia spring, which is slow, which I could live with, but apparently also not very safe, which could be an issue

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you dont need can bus bs and parts that are serialized that need to be activated to work buy a dealer to even use it as dont want anyone to fix these cars ect and will make repairs out of warranty just not viable so scrap it as no parts will work on any other car so the hole lot goes in the bin and you can buy a brand new renewable one :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There is the dacia spring, which is slow, which I could live with, but apparently also not very safe, which could be an issue
You've got to think like a Tory and take responsibility: space suits which distil your pee to drink and recycle poo for chocolate drop snacks, and which deploy airbags outwards in any collision - on pavements, escooter or bike, in homes or cars or anywhere else. They'll announce it in the budget, right after they privatise air.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

you dont need can bus bs and parts that are serialized that need to be activated to work buy a dealer to even use it as dont want anyone to fix these cars ect and will make repairs out of warranty just not viable so scrap it as no parts will work on any other car so the hole lot goes in the bin and you can buy a brand new renewable one :p

View attachment 49504
I read about that Wuling a few months ago, but there are no plans to add ABS and move the steering column across for the UK - it'd cost at least twice as much.

One was disassembled to discover how it could be sold so cheaply:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney