Upgraded controller on a Mark 1 X-byke

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
I've got a Mark 1 Powabyke X-6 and one of it's annoying quirks was that every time you release the throttle when you pull it back again it takes two complete pedal revolutions before the engine kicks in. This is particularly troublesome with hill starts and right turns.

Powabyke have changed this with their current x-bykes and my local bike shop have just fitted one of the new controller circuit-boards on my X-byke because the old one had died. If I had know how much better the new control programmes are I would have been tempted to make the switch much earlier. Not only does the motor initially kick in much sooner, but also when you release the throttle it waits a while before resetting so you get instant power pulling away from lights and after you let go of the throttle to indicate right.

I was thinking about converting my bike to twist-and-go but now I won't bother because it's close enough. So if you're struggling with an early x-byke a new circuit board is something you could consider splashing out fifty quid on.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I've got a Mark 1 Powabyke X-6 and one of it's annoying quirks was that every time you release the throttle when you pull it back again it takes two complete pedal revolutions before the engine kicks in. This is particularly troublesome with hill starts and right turns.

Powabyke have changed this with their current x-bykes and my local bike shop have just fitted one of the new controller circuit-boards on my X-byke because the old one had died. If I had know how much better the new control programmes are I would have been tempted to make the switch much earlier. Not only does the motor initially kick in much sooner, but also when you release the throttle it waits a while before resetting so you get instant power pulling away from lights and after you let go of the throttle to indicate right.

I was thinking about converting my bike to twist-and-go but now I won't bother because it's close enough. So if you're struggling with an early x-byke a new circuit board is something you could consider splashing out fifty quid on.
Money well spent by the sound of it Patrick