Urban Mover

RobFloridaUSA

Just Joined
Nov 5, 2019
Hi everyone .. newbie here. I have an older Urban Mover UM44S that I need a replacement torque sensor for. I have had no luck getting UM to reply to my request via their website. I really love this bike it is built way better than most ebikes here in the states. I have commuted with it for years. I took it to my local bike shop for routine repairs and now the assist will not work. As a courtesy they washed the bike really good I think the water effected the torque sensor (its located at the front sprocket.) They are willing to help but we just need the part. Any help or direction would be much appreciated. Rob

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's called the VPAC control system. It was used on several bikes, including A2B Fast 4WD and Emoto, but they've all ceased trading.

If it were my bike, I'd replace it with a standard Chinese controller and cadence pedal sensor, which would probably be cheaper anyway.

Whatever is wrong with it might be repairable. Did you think about disassembling it and looking inside to see what the problem is? If it's anything like the Suntour one, it might just need cleaning.

RobFloridaUSA

Just Joined
Nov 5, 2019
We removed it only to find it is sealed. We did flush some contact cleaner through it but it did no help. It appears you would need to break it in order to crack it open and see the details inside.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Interesting to hear that another Urban Mover is still alive. I got one of the foldable versions in 2007 , and it is on its second set of batteries.. I had to do a custom job with lithium ion batteries after the original NimH died .. its not used much now, but I have brought it to a holiday home, where it does service getting the baguettes

Reactions: RobFloridaUSA

RobFloridaUSA

Just Joined
Nov 5, 2019
It's called the VPAC control system. It was used on several bikes, including A2B Fast 4WD and Emoto, but they've all ceased trading.

If it were my bike, I'd replace it with a standard Chinese controller and cadence pedal sensor, which would probably be cheaper anyway.

Whatever is wrong with it might be repairable. Did you think about disassembling it and looking inside to see what the problem is? If it's anything like the Suntour one, it might just need cleaning.
Thank you for your help

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It looks like the side unscrews using those three dimples near the edge like the side-plate of a hub-motor.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
Hope you get your issue sorted soon