Use of an unrestricted throttle

I seem to be taking over this forum... :(

I've been walking up a few hills, pushing the Wisper City - and using the tiniest bit of throttle to help me. Could this have damaged the motor? My bike mechanic seems to think so. I've been careful not to use it starting off as I know that would have put a lot of stress on things, but I didn't think giving it a tiny bit of juice while walking it up would hurt.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
No, I very much doubt it, the motor will be fine.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ditto, I've done this all the time with my Bafang motors for four years, including up a very steep 1 in 4 bank with heavy loads on the back. There's no way it will do any harm, even at the lowest speeds where the motor pulses can be counted.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I use the motor on my 905 all the time, from standing starts and slow speeds upwards. I've done roughly 20,000 miles on it and all that's happened is I've worn out a set of the nylon gears which are easily replaced.

Thanks guys - that's what I would have thought. Sarge (my mechanic) and I are having a 'fun' time learning how this all works on our own. The NZ distributor is good too, just he has as much experience as we do! God bless the interwebs.

Advertisers