'Very' limited budget e-bike

srj321

Just Joined
Feb 28, 2012
Hi there

First post guys so hoping to benefit from your opinions.

Have a 'very' limited budget - did see a post which talked about £1,000 as a limited budget - all I can say to that is I wish :D

Anyway at a push I could stretch to £700 - but ideally would prefer around the £600 mark. Have seen a few bikes round this price:

Woosh scirroco £565 - The new Sirocco X | Electric Bikes from Woosh | Tel 01702 435566 | electric bike sales and hire
Cyclotricity Revolver £599 - Revolver – £599 | Electric bicycle from Cyclotricity
8Fun E26M03S £659 - E26M03S | 26" Electric Aluminium Mountain Bike | 36V Lithium Bottle Battery with Panasonic Cells,21 SP SHIMANO, DISC Brake

From the 3 above I must admit I like the look of both the revolver and the 8fun bike. I like the weight of the revolver - though it only has a 7Ah battery. The 8fun bike battery is better at 9Ah - but the bike weighs an additional 8Kg at 27Kg.

Then the Scirroco has a 10Ah battery - and comes in at a reasonably light weight (think 22Kg) but just doesn't look as nice in my eyes - beauty in the eye of the beholder etc.

Anyway just wondered what you guys think of the various specs of the bikes - and which is offereing the best value/reliability option for me.

Or to throw something else into the mix, would it be worth picking up a 2nd hand bike from ebay or the like and adding a kit onto it?

In terms of usage, I plan on using the bike for a 4 mile commute - down hill lot of the way there - though two smallish hills there. Obviously on the 4 mile trip back that's when I really plan on using it as the majority of the journey seems to be uphill.

Look forward to your suggestions.

S

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
My 2p worth. Second hand is a lottery as the battery will be an unknown entity but a donor bike with the idea of adding a kit is a good one.

With your budget for commercial bikes I'd look at Kudos, Juicy or maybe Alien. Or you could save more and go for a Cyclamatic, perform a bit of DIY on the controller and have a good performing bike for your short trip with money to spare to spend on other things or upgrades for the bike. If you watch out for the Sportshq discounts and purchase through quidco you can get a very good deal on the Cyclamatic.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
have a look in classified section on here and Ebay. You can get a good used bike for your money

I bought my first bike on here a Wisper 905SE for under £800, it was 5 months old. I kept it nearly 18 months and sold it for £700

what will the cheap bike be worth I wonder......

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
S
If you're near to South Manchester then come and have a rummage through some of our older stock at our warehouse: Eco Republic in New Mills.

C

Cyclezee

Hi srj321,

A warm welcome to the forum.

I appreciate you are on a tight budget and understand that people have to set limits, but I am sure you are aware that sometimes you only get what you pay for.

For just a bit more you could have an eZee Sprint Primo. It is a quality hub motor bike at a budget price.

If you would like more information on this model, please click on the following links:

Bikes & Conversion Kits - Cyclezee Ltd
Gallery - Cyclezee Ltd
Shop - Cyclezee Ltd

Demonstration bike available.

D

Deleted member 4366

All those bikes have similar electrics, so there shouldn't be much difference on the reliability front. The two with bottle batteries also have front gears, which makes it easier to ride unassisted up hills. The 8Fun one has Panasonic cells, and from my experience(9aH 8Fun battery still going strong after 18 months), it could give it an advantage. You might find that the two bottle battery bikes have less climbing power because the batteries are only rated for 14 amps max, while as the other might be 15amps.

There's another bike you might want to consider if you're really strapped for cash, and that's the Cyclamatic. Most of the Amazon reviews are favourable, and a few on this forum have them. They can be had for as low as £400, or even £360 (like mine), but I think normal price is £500. They're only 24v, but still go quite well, and can me made to go a lot better. Hill-climbing isn't a strong point with only 12amps max, but that can easily be improved - See the "Beastamatic" threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
There was a Cyclematic bike on Ebay last week that was used by a student for under a year gonig for £250 of your good British pounds. Bargin even if the battery is a year old.

There ay some decent low budget machines that can be had for £600. Just need to have a look around and some of the above suggestions are all very good.

Sometimes getting a Donor bike and a kit can get the expensive option (If buying UK).
Buy kits from China is cheaper but will take longer and you'll no doubt need to build it.

A complete bike and kit would be the easier option. (And generally not much more expensive at the rate of increase in parts and motors from China).

srj321

Just Joined
Feb 28, 2012
Wow - cheers for the input so far - you guys are fast off the mark.

Anyway certainly gives me some food for thought. Will check out the 'beastamatic' thread when I get the chance - i.e not at work ;)

S