Viking MT Tobin controller problem

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When the lights in the control panel flash, it's because the computer chip inside it is damaged by water. Unless you can see that the connectors in the cables are completely damaged by corrosion, you can probably repair your bike by only replacing the control panel. Before you buy anything, you can test it by joining the red and the blue wires inside the control panel's harness. That should switch on the controller and give you basic pedal assist function at the lowest level. If that works, you can nearly any similar control panel, which are very cheap to buy.

Reactions: Quantums

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
So it is the handlebar display at fault and not the controller under the battery that the battery attaches to?

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
This is the problem to find a similar handlebar dispay to a Viking MT Tobin. See picture previously posted in this thread

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
When the lights in the control panel flash, it's because the computer chip inside it is damaged by water. Unless you can see that the connectors in the cables are completely damaged by corrosion, you can probably repair your bike by only replacing the control panel. Before you buy anything, you can test it by joining the red and the blue wires inside the control panel's harness. That should switch on the controller and give you basic pedal assist function at the lowest level. If that works, you can nearly any similar control panel, which are very cheap to buy.
OK I am trying it soon

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
What cheapish display do you people think can replace mine? See earlier picture in this thread

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Why not just buy one of ebay?
Not really that simple. If your existing LED panel is 4 wire analog, then it's feasible to replace it with another analog one. The problem is that I don't think they are available anymore. If it's 5 wire digital, then it needs to be matched with a controller of the same brand.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
OEM parts are rarely available from the suppliers of these types of generic Chinese bikes.
I've done a quick bit of research and I'm pretty sure this analog LED display could be a suitable replacement for an OEM 4 wire one. You may of course need to change the connector. Maybe someone else could comfirm.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-36-48V-LED-790-Meter-Control-Panel-Ebike-Display-For-Electric-Bike-E-Scooter/332960014358?hash=item4d85f6a016:m:mmqWXhuXqvAYzqYJ8hvX-
ug:rk:1f:0
Wiring diagram.
1548257096102.png
In your case Quantums, I don't think it's gonna help you because of the water damage to your controller. You also have waterproof moulded plugs I believe, which are great for keeping water out, but makes checking wiring and fault finding alot more difficult.

Reactions: Quantums

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can use any 4 wire LED control panel. There are loads available from Chinese suppliers like Aliexpress. The one above will work as long as it's the correct voltage. Just join the wires. Don't bother with the light connector because its for low power lights. There's no point in getting one until you do the test I mentioned above because the controller might be faulty and need to be replaced too. If it does need replacing, it would be better to get a sinewave one with an LCD.

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
You can use any 4 wire LED control panel. There are loads available from Chinese suppliers like Aliexpress. The one above will work as long as it's the correct voltage. Just join the wires. Don't bother with the light connector because its for low power lights. There's no point in getting one until you do the test I mentioned above because the controller might be faulty and need to be replaced too. If it does need replacing, it would be better to get a sinewave one with an LCD.
I have just done exactly that. Many thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Cut the connectors off and join the wires. Make sure you switch off or disconnect the battery first.

Last edited:

Quantums

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
I have this problem that there are 3 more extra color wires from the controller than the handlebar triple wire splitter. I guess you are just going to say attach the matching color wires? There are 7 wires from the controller and 4 wires from the handlebar wire. I have some heat shrink covers and I guess I should solder the wires for better connection) USA say "sodder", right?

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Your old connector on the LCD had 4 or 5 pins, so did the connector from the controller that it plugged into. You couldn't have 7 pins from the controller because you wouldn't be able to plug it in. The number of wires that leave the controller are irrelevant because some of them go to the throttle and brakes that are on different connectors. If there's something wrong with this, can you explain where the discrepancies are?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There should be four wires in the connector. Red is from the battery. Black is from the battery. They power the control panel. When you operate the switch on the panel, it switches on a blue wire that provides power to the controller. The fourth wire is green and is the pedal assist power wire. Again, if yours is not like this, please say how it is.

Advertisers